Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 13, 2021 2:29am

Final Furlong Forum - jockey comments

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 06:29:02 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Questions  |  Topic: jockey comments
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: jockey comments  (Read 3162 times)
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »

Finding out what works for each horse is often a case of trial and error. Failing that I usually find selling to another stable often brings about marked improvement  ;)
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
NCh Golden Text
ICh Quarren
WCh Sionnach
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

Preferences for equipment don't change.

Or are the comments simply related to how well a jockey knows the horse?

This.
Mintano
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 03:04:14 AM »

This topic came up at a good time!

Romantic Memory apparently hates everything, bar her jockey, she seems to like him well enough! Other than her first 4 workouts she has had Joseph Birdsong on for the ride since she was a 3yo.

6/2/2015 - Loves no equipment (Okay so she did apparently like something for a brief period)
1/4/2016 - Hates no equipment (Fickle filly!)
1/9/2016 - Hates blinkers
2/29/2016 - Hates shadowroll
3/19/2016 - Dislikes wraps (Less hatred maybe?)
3/21/2016 - Hates F8
7/5/2016 - Dislikes No Whip (More less hatred!)
9/18/2017 - Hates Blinkers, Shadowroll and Wraps

So what do we make of this? Obviously hating her equipment hasn't hurt any! More of an experiment for me now to figure out what the heck she does like! Obviously the comments about hating blinkers and F8 came only after a couple days of training with the equipment so maybe try those again? She likes her jockey and he does know her like the back of his hand. Oh goodness now that I've said that she'll take to hating him too!  >:D
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »

I would give her another whirl with no equipment. Depending how well the jock knew her last year/earlier in the season, he could be lying.
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 04:25:59 AM »

I make my decisions only after I've gotten a comment at least twice AFTER the jockey says he knows the horse "like the back of his hand", because they can still make mistakes at any point. If they know the horse well, it's more likely that they will be correct, but I like to make sure they meant it (by repeating it).
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
the1stpsycho
Beta Testers
Jockey

Stable Name: Vimes Racing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

Failing that I usually find selling to another stable often brings about marked improvement  ;)

Nice method :)
North Oak Farms
Beta Testers
Jockey

Stable Name: North Oak Farms Inc.

View Profile http://www.northstarstud.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 01:55:46 AM »

I tend to wait until I get a couple of 'hates equipment' from the same jockey.  Sometimes I think it's a fluke, like maybe the girth was bugging the horse or a wrap was itchy.  I just laugh when a horse not wearing equipment hates equipment.  Thankfully, someone said the horse hates the LACK of equipment.
North Oak Farms, Inc.

NCh. Cryptic Ballad (Created x Created) -2009 SC Eclipse Champion Colt- Bronze, LFG, $5,000
NCh. The Fighting Fifty (Starz 'n' Stripes x Kiss Of Time)- Wnr of G1 Champagne S, Preakness S, Santa Anita Derby- Speed record at 6.5f dirt -Bronze, LFG, $10,000
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »

Every time I sell a horse they go on to win for the new owner :(  fickle ponies
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Clicker Lab

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

Looks like this jockey can't make up her mind... ::) I got these comments recently:

11/25/19    M. Fink     Lointaine seems to like running off the pace.
11/24/19    M. Fink    Lointaine seems to like running on the lead.
11/23/19    M. Fink    I know Lointaine like the back of my hand.

She already said that she knows this horse "like the back of her hand" many times before, and that they get along well (or OK), so should really know her by now...
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »

To be fair, both statements might be right. ;) The pony doesn't necessarily need to have a strong favourite running style.
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:35 AM »

I just changed her to "let the jockey decide" ;)
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »

Got one today that I've not seen before:

"Smaug was unresponsive."

This is a 2yo filly (June baby) who had a minor injury in training earlier in the year so has been at the farm since June, possibly longer, before coming back into training about three weeks ago. She's currently unraced and most recent training comments have said she seems tired, ran out of steam or seems out of shape. She's mostly been doing walk and jog sessions up to a mile in total. I'm thinking she's probably immature and needs to go back to the farm. Would anyone agree with that assumption?

NCh Golden Text
ICh Quarren
WCh Sionnach
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

Was it three weeks in a row, daily training? Maybe she's just had too much. I think I've had this comment when Natural Energy dropped due to too much training or racing.
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »

She did her first session on the 21st of November and got the "has lots of energy comment" then she's been on a Monday, Wednesday and Saturday schedule (I think the first one she did was a Saturday and I have my generic schedule set to 1/2 mile walk on Monday, 1/2 mile walk and 1/2 mile jog on Wednesday, 1/2 mile each of walk, jog and canter on Saturday) and all comments have been pretty negative. I think she might just be a bit backward as she's been getting fat at the farm since May so had a really long rest.  She's had 7 workouts since coming back into training and she had 7 workouts in May leading up to the injury (swelling). Interestingly, most of her May workouts were positive ones - 2 X has lots of energy, 1 X raring to go mentally and a couple of dislikes equipment and a  "sorry, don't know her well" one.

NCh Golden Text
ICh Quarren
WCh Sionnach
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »

I would probably race her if she's A/A and see comments after that. But, I have my worst OTB percentage ever this year ;) and I think it's because of too much training generally. I'm now trying to train them less, especially that it was taking forever to find the right jockey and get him/her to really know the horse. And I only have one horse, Rodrigo Borgia, who got this comment: "Rodrigo Borgia and I get along great!". The first time the jockey said this was 08/20/19 and since then the horse is always 3rd, 2nd or 1st, and before he was always off the board. Also, maybe the jockey doesn't like the horse but hasn't told you yet ;) because this also happened to me sometimes - several negative comments and then the jockey says "X and I don't get along at all".
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Questions  |  Topic: jockey comments « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, jockey comments - Theme by Mustang Forums