Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Jul. 17, 2022 2:51pm

Author Topic: Horse riding again  (Read 1602 times)

Offline willagrey

• Beta Testers
  • Trainer
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Denoux Stud
Re: Horse riding again
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »
Well I didn't have an actual lesson, but I went riding on the beach last week in Cozumel! It was so fun. The guys were going to let us gallop on the beach butttt I didn't have a helmet so I didn't really feel comfortable doing that. 1 bucket list item is complete. Next time I'll bring my helmet, don some hunter princess hair, and gallop on the beach lol

Offline Hilda with ClickerTopic starter

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Clicker Lab
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:33 pm »

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Stillwater Farms
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 12:39:53 pm »
I can finally contribute here - I rode yesterday! I've known about the local stable here since before we moved, but it took 3 months to find someone there to talk to about lessons. The bonus to that was that I got to have a ride on my birthday. :) Very basic, just testing the waters to see how my body reacts to real physical exertion (so far so good, ignoring massively sore muscles and a complete lack of energy yesterday post-ride), so I'm hoping that I can have lessons regularly now and get back in the swing of things.

(Seems a shame to live in a country with gorgeous horses everywhere and not actually ride any.)

Offline ivycreekfarm

• Beta Testers
  • Owner
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Creek Farm
  • Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »
I didn't realize you weren't riding out there! I'm so glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of it (hopefully), though. It feels good, doesn't it? At least for the soul, not so much for the out-of-practice muscles.  ;)

I'm hoping to try to get my oldest into it next spring (she'll be 3 1/2 by then). She already told me she's asking Santa for a "real horse and a real giraffe" this Christmas.  8)  We're lucky to have friends who are a few miles away with horses and an "open invitation" to come out and ride. I just hate to feel like we're imposing!
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year

Offline willagrey

• Beta Testers
  • Trainer
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Denoux Stud
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »
Shelbie and I had a lesson in August! We met up with some horse friends in the DC area, where our friend Liz is an instructor.
I was SOOO out of shape but I had a really good lesson, on an adorable pony named Strawberry Shortcake! She was so cute & fun!

I was sore for like a week though. I life in such a non-horsey area, so I cannot wait to move!

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 09:39:44 am »
I didn't realize you weren't riding out there! I'm so glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of it (hopefully), though. It feels good, doesn't it? At least for the soul, not so much for the out-of-practice muscles.  ;)

I know, such a shame! I forced my husband to take lessons for a bit prior to us getting married (when I had delusions that we'd go on a horsey honeymoon, haha - turns out we skipped a honeymoon entirely), so I rode a bit in England, but haven't really ridden regularly since I left the US.

I rode basically my dream horse - dark dapple grey, cute, willing, not a slowpoke. Chunky, so I'm guessing he's an Irish Sport Horse. Nothing fancy, but I'll take cute/willing (and grey!). ;-)

Willa, Strawberry Shortcake is adorable.

Offline Shelbie

• Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Black Storm West
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
Haha, I had the old-as-dirt-and-could-care-less Warmblood gelding who would periodically decide he was done with this trotting nonsense and come to a dead stop. But overall survived! Alas riding lessons in my area is extremely expensive and I can't make it a regular occurrence.
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
NCH. French Ruby | NCh. Nobly Regal | WCh. Strike it Rich

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:40 pm »

Offline Hilda with ClickerTopic starter

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Clicker Lab
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:14 am »
Yay we're riding!

I rode yesterday! I was travelling for a week, doing strange activities ;) and I didn't take my horse riding stuff with, so I had to improvise. But I rode at my favourite horsey place, where all horses are barefoot, on a "paddock paradise" kind of turnout, 24/7, and they are all pony-size. All bridles are bitless (dr Cook type) and all saddles are treeless (western type). My horse was a 26 years old hucul pony. He was first used as a breeding stallion before they started riding him (at a stud farm where he was born) so maybe this is why he's still in good shape - really a lot of horse power inside! He even raced past three other horses when we galloped across a meadow (and uphill!). Picture below - he lost his left eye which is now white and doesn't see anything:

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:43 am »
Aw he's cute!

I rode the same horse again - made a bit more progress this time getting him to actually take contact. Super basic stuff, but I'm totally out of shape, so that's to be expected I guess.

Booked in for next week, so I think riding regularly is a part of my life again. \o/

Offline the1stpsycho

• Beta Testers
  • Jockey
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Vimes Racing
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 04:48:07 pm »
My friend and I grew up riding together. Currently in NYC there are not a lot of options to ride that are convenient. We have been doing equestrian vacations since 2008 to make up for it. We have been to Ireland, France, Italy, Nicaragua, and Mozambique. While the vacations aren't cheap, still cheaper than owning a horse!

The beaches in Mozambique are amazing! I highly recommend a trip.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JMQi92iyn_oXSDl0Uxhu6uKupS7I_o9XGA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dG-CMHxAaCpc2Fgn5e7Xl3ATllcz-MsNNA

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 04:54:33 pm »
Very cool! I'd love to go on a riding holiday sometime. I did ride on a beach in Sri Lanka ages ago, which was fun (though my horse did not like the ocean).

The barn I'm riding at does equestrian holidays, actually, but I'm not sure it's the same effect when you drive 10 minutes from your house for your "holiday".

Online Equestriana

• Beta Testers
  • Owner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Semiahmoo Stables
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 05:02:05 pm »
Yay! I love these posts from everyone!

I am now 1/2 leasing a lovely 17hh warmblood named Billy. Billy is a trained eventer, around 10 years old, doesn't have alot of show miles but knows what he's doing. He's got a bit of spunk to him, bucked me off really good last ride (I held on for about 8 bucks before he turned and down I went! Winded and sore for days.. getting old!). I'm now jumping 2'6" courses with him, with the occasional 3'. We've been working on our dressage as well, haven't taken him cross country yet. I get out riding at least 8 times a month right now and loving it

Links to some photos :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xMsrCUAqj3qYeO7D2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x6G2RnVzHiJcsYAs2
Kim - Semiahmoo Stables
Proudly Offered at Stud
ICh. What's Your Point - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Gold Rated
WCh. I'm Your Angel - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Silver Rated
GCh. Ace Of Hearts - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Millionaire
NCh. Sunday Paper - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire

Online Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »
Aw Billy's super cute!

I'd be all over him except the bucking part, haha. I don't mind a bit of spunk but not 8 bucks in a row....way too old/fragile for that (in my mind, anyway).

Online Equestriana

• Beta Testers
  • Owner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Semiahmoo Stables
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:01 pm »
This was the first time he's bucked me off (been riding him about 4 months now), never even had a buck before that. Sometimes he'll take off after a jump if it was 'scary' (barrels, flowers..) which I could deal with, hopefully the bucking isn't a regular thing because then we would definitely have an issue. I was basically unable to move for 2 days, not cool!
Kim - Semiahmoo Stables
Proudly Offered at Stud
ICh. What's Your Point - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Gold Rated
WCh. I'm Your Angel - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Silver Rated
GCh. Ace Of Hearts - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Millionaire
NCh. Sunday Paper - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire