Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 12, 2021 10:19pm

Final Furlong Forum - Horse riding again

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:19:33 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Anything Goes  |  Topic: Horse riding again
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horse riding again  (Read 602 times)
willagrey
Beta Testers
Jockey

Stable Name: Denoux Stud

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »

Well I didn't have an actual lesson, but I went riding on the beach last week in Cozumel! It was so fun. The guys were going to let us gallop on the beach butttt I didn't have a helmet so I didn't really feel comfortable doing that. 1 bucket list item is complete. Next time I'll bring my helmet, don some hunter princess hair, and gallop on the beach lol
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Clicker Lab

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »

I feel like making an update; of course my plan to ride once a month didn't quite work out. I had no time for horse riding during entire summer (is it really over already?!). But a month ago I went with a friend to a stud farm that breeds Icelandic horses. Because I've been to Iceland for a week where I had no chance to ride, but the horses were *everywhere*.
So I found this farm and I convinced a friend (who is afraid of horses) that she really wants to go there with me ;)
It seems that tölting around on Icelandic horse is the most hipster thing to do in the horse world... and it's a strange feeling too, because although tölt is faster than walk, it's actually more comfortable. However, I was more impressed by the personality of those horses, than by their gaits. They really seem to be happy about everything, relaxed and easy going, but very lively when riding. They are bred to endure very harsh conditions, such as Icelandic winter, but seem surprisingly fragile; no one can bring any used riding equipment to Iceland, because they're afraid of diseases, and all riding horses are always shod on all four. I would expect their hooves to be strong enough to go barefoot, but I don't know if it's the hooves or people's opinion about the matter.
Another good thing is, that the stud farm had 150 horses and all of them were small ;)
I rode twice; once when we arrived and again the next day, when my friend also went for a short walk in hand. I'd love to visit more stud farms that are focused on specific breed or type, especially of it's a more natural breeding (when horses are kept in family groups). For now I'm just following some instagram accounts of lucky owners of Icelandic horses ;) like this one:
https://www.instagram.com/kaplahestar/
the horses are also popular everywhere around the world, and of the 150 horses that "our" stud farm had, not even one was brought straight from Iceland, because the owner said that it would be too expensive; they all came from the Netherlands.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »

I can finally contribute here - I rode yesterday! I've known about the local stable here since before we moved, but it took 3 months to find someone there to talk to about lessons. The bonus to that was that I got to have a ride on my birthday. :) Very basic, just testing the waters to see how my body reacts to real physical exertion (so far so good, ignoring massively sore muscles and a complete lack of energy yesterday post-ride), so I'm hoping that I can have lessons regularly now and get back in the swing of things.

(Seems a shame to live in a country with gorgeous horses everywhere and not actually ride any.)
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »

I didn't realize you weren't riding out there! I'm so glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of it (hopefully), though. It feels good, doesn't it? At least for the soul, not so much for the out-of-practice muscles.  ;)

I'm hoping to try to get my oldest into it next spring (she'll be 3 1/2 by then). She already told me she's asking Santa for a "real horse and a real giraffe" this Christmas.  8)  We're lucky to have friends who are a few miles away with horses and an "open invitation" to come out and ride. I just hate to feel like we're imposing!
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
willagrey
Beta Testers
Jockey

Stable Name: Denoux Stud

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

Shelbie and I had a lesson in August! We met up with some horse friends in the DC area, where our friend Liz is an instructor.
I was SOOO out of shape but I had a really good lesson, on an adorable pony named Strawberry Shortcake! She was so cute & fun!

I was sore for like a week though. I life in such a non-horsey area, so I cannot wait to move!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »

I didn't realize you weren't riding out there! I'm so glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of it (hopefully), though. It feels good, doesn't it? At least for the soul, not so much for the out-of-practice muscles.  ;)

I know, such a shame! I forced my husband to take lessons for a bit prior to us getting married (when I had delusions that we'd go on a horsey honeymoon, haha - turns out we skipped a honeymoon entirely), so I rode a bit in England, but haven't really ridden regularly since I left the US.

I rode basically my dream horse - dark dapple grey, cute, willing, not a slowpoke. Chunky, so I'm guessing he's an Irish Sport Horse. Nothing fancy, but I'll take cute/willing (and grey!). ;-)

Willa, Strawberry Shortcake is adorable.
Shelbie
Race Winner

Stable Name: Black Storm West

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

Haha, I had the old-as-dirt-and-could-care-less Warmblood gelding who would periodically decide he was done with this trotting nonsense and come to a dead stop. But overall survived! Alas riding lessons in my area is extremely expensive and I can't make it a regular occurrence.
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
Standing NCH. French Ruby
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

Haha, that's hilarious Shelbie.

One nice thing about living in the (relative) middle of nowhere Ireland - horse things seem really cheap here. This seems like a pretty fancy barn (they have an indoor, they have some form of cross-country course, etc), and board is...wait for it...€300/mo.

I paid more than that for pasture-only board in the DC suburbs. Crazy.
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Clicker Lab

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

Yay we're riding!

I rode yesterday! I was travelling for a week, doing strange activities ;) and I didn't take my horse riding stuff with, so I had to improvise. But I rode at my favourite horsey place, where all horses are barefoot, on a "paddock paradise" kind of turnout, 24/7, and they are all pony-size. All bridles are bitless (dr Cook type) and all saddles are treeless (western type). My horse was a 26 years old hucul pony. He was first used as a breeding stallion before they started riding him (at a stud farm where he was born) so maybe this is why he's still in good shape - really a lot of horse power inside! He even raced past three other horses when we galloped across a meadow (and uphill!). Picture below - he lost his left eye which is now white and doesn't see anything:

Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:43 AM »

Aw he's cute!

I rode the same horse again - made a bit more progress this time getting him to actually take contact. Super basic stuff, but I'm totally out of shape, so that's to be expected I guess.

Booked in for next week, so I think riding regularly is a part of my life again. \o/
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Anything Goes  |  Topic: Horse riding again « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Horse riding again - Theme by Mustang Forums