Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 11, 2021 5:34pm

Final Furlong Forum - From 50k to millions, HOW?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:34:13 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Questions  |  Topic: From 50k to millions, HOW?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: From 50k to millions, HOW?  (Read 3524 times)
Mintano
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »

I got my first stakes winner, and by far my favorite horse from Holly for $50,000. Since I bought him in mid-December of last year, he's raced for me ten times, has won five times, all of which are stakes wins, and has earned over $400k for me. He could never win again and I'd still love him, though I hope he'll continue to be the uber cool stakes winning SC'er that he is.
Wolfhound
Beta Testers
Trainer

Stable Name: Darkwood Stables

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »

Hi to all - as a very new newbie i (only 4 days old!) have read this thread with interest, it has been very helpful. But I also need to ask some questions that may sound very stupid, please have patience.
i see the experienced people recommend handicapping, I have looked at the handicap post and I'm not sure i understand what is going on. To me handicapping is done by someone who decides how much weight a horse should carry in a handicap race (you must call them something else in the US, but I don't yet know what). But handicapping here looks a bit like betting without losing money - have i missed something? Please could someone explain - as if to an idiot! - how this works? I am quite keen to get a bit of funds  :)
Also I have a 2 yo filly that i want to enter in a maiden race but they all seem to be full. I read in one of the posts that the entries are opened at 7pm on the evening - sadly for me that is at least 11pm here and possibly later (my knowledge of your time zones is a bit wooly and I dont know which one this 7.00 is in)  I am asleep by then and work full time so i can't log on until about 7.00pm here, about 3.00 pm east coast time and suspect they will always fill up before I can enter. What is likely to be the next easiest type of race to enter her in? i dont want to enter her in a claiming race but certainly don't want to over face her. Any advice or recommendation will be gratefully recieved!
Gwen

Darkwood Stables
Mintano
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 08:07:30 PM »

The handicapping for now is basically you the player posting which horses you think will come in first second and third. You get $250 for picking the winner of each race, $100 for picking the second place horse, $50 for picking the horse that comes in third, $500 if you can pick the first two finishers in the exact order, and $1,000 if you pick the first three finishers in the exact order. Next year I think their will be an actual handicapping system with odds and you will have to risk your money, but for now it is free and you get money if your right, and it also helps recognize what horses do good, bloodlines, etc.

Entries open after the races of the particular day are run, for example, when the races on the 9th are run, the races on the 16th will open for entries. Times vary depending on when Shanti can get to running them, eventually they will run themselves at a certain time.

All 2yo races are hard to get in if you don't try entering within a few hours of entries opening. The fervor for entering is starting to wind down now though, if you really want to race your 2yo you can try entering her in a NW1/2/3 allowance. Word to the wise though, unless you have an uber cool 2yo you will most likely lose money than win money so enter with care.

;)
Amy Livingston
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 09:27:28 PM »

To me handicapping is done by someone who decides how much weight a horse should carry in a handicap race (you must call them something else in the US, but I don't yet know what).

In real life, a handicap race (yes, that's what it's called) is when you put different wights on horses to attempt a dead heat (exact tie), to give each horse an equal chance of winning. This person is called a handicapper (how clever ;)). I was slightly confused about it too, at first, when I decided to start handicapping to gain a bit of cash but I didn't think to ask about it. This does seem like betting without losing money. So, if Final Furlong is supposed to be as realistic as possible, why does handicapping have a different meaning? I have no idea about that.
oolagah
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 09:57:10 PM »

Handicapping races is simply picking how you think the race will finish. It begins with the person who creates the morning line odds for the daily racing program. This person looks at the Daily Racing Form and, based upon several variables, assigns initial odds. Mintano is doing that right now with her pre-race stakes programs. Then the betting public "handicaps" the race and sets the final numbers you see on the tote board. I guess for the purpose of Final Furlong, you are not actually betting as there is no possibility of losing cash, but you ARE handicapping the race. This is entirely different than the concept of assigning more weight to a standout horse in order to even the playing field. Not all stakes races feature this. More common is to give, say, a filly a lighter load if she is competing against colts. You also can catch a weight break when using an apprentice jockey. Make sense?
fionababe56
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »

For me it was by horses I bought. I started out with a racehorse and a broodmare. My one race horse did pretty weel which helped, but I ended up seeling him. My stable is still getting big, but what helped me was when I bought my stud Native Justice. He won four graded stakes races and got me over a mil in profit and from there iw as able to get better horses and such. Also leasing a few good horses helped too.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Questions  |  Topic: From 50k to millions, HOW? « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, From 50k to millions, HOW? - Theme by Mustang Forums