Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 18, 2021 3:19pm

Final Furlong Forum - Naming Foals

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:19:48 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Naming Foals
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Naming Foals  (Read 3910 times)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:44:33 AM »

When naming your foals, please do a search first to see if there are similar names.  I can/will rename foals if need be, but I'd like not to.

Eventually, I will write elaborate code to check foal names and make sure that they're not too similar to existing horses, but that hasn't happened yet (obviously).
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering. Has that feature been added yet?
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:56:13 PM »

No, as the function(s) available to do that don't really work too well.  i.e. it can tell me if there are characters different between 2 names, but it won't flag Love Dream/Love Dreams (bad) and not flag Love Dream/Love Cream (not as bad).
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:59:29 PM »

Oh, okay. Just wondering. I would want to give my foals original names anyway, just for my pride's sake.  ;)
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
taylon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:29:12 PM »

I've found that if you search the full name, then portions of the name (if more than one word), and the name with like, "s" on the back (such as Love Dream/Loves Dream/Love Dreams) to check and see if there are any similarities, and you don't find any, you are *probably* safe with that name.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »

Please keep in mind the guidelines for naming foals.

- No stable names/abbreviations in foal names.  i.e. Stillwater's Champion, SF I'm A Champion are not allowed.

- No egomania in naming foals after yourself *cough* Jasameron *cough*  Naming a horse in someone else's honor (i.e. Sarah's Joy) is acceptable, but only to a limited extent (i.e. you shouldn't name an entire foal crop Sarah's Joy, Sarah's Pride, Sarah's Butterfly, Sarah's Banana Cream Cake, etc.)

- No foul language/innuendo in foal names.

- As noted above, please search for names similar to your horse's name before naming your horse.

- Please use proper grammar/spelling, if possible.  Abbreviations in order to fit the 18 character limit are fine, but otherwise please spell check your names before you submit them.  (Also, check capitalization...it should be My Champion, not My champion).
Bam
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »

I had been thinking at some point to name a foal Snowbird. Would this be acceptable? My original intent wasn't for the horse to be after my stable (as I was wanting to do this back when I had Wither Hawk Stables). But if it applies too much to your first guideline then oh well :)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:59 PM »

Given that you have a stable name of Snowbird, you hardly need a horse named Snowbird as well.
Brenda
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »

Can a foal that you bought, be renamed? Just curious for future reference.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »

Horses can be renamed until they are officially racehorses (i.e. 2 years old)
Bam
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »

-shrugs- I like the name. But, okay. That's fine. :)

Also, I've noticed there are a lot of Smylie horses...? Is that allowed?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:12:32 PM by Bam » Logged
Smylie
Trainer

Stable Name: The Grey Stable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

Well, I'm getting my hand slapped as we speak!!!  :'( I just think it somewhat odd that a lot of the rules we see above have "just" come into play. I scanned the database for all entries with naming foals in it and couldn't find a lot said on the subject!!! Just my opinion and I'll probably have to change!!!
If I'd know I was gonna live this long........ I'd have taken better care of myself!!!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »

They have not "just" been put into place.  Several other stables have been asked to rename their foals for various reasons.  It is just that now I realized that I had not explicitly stated the rules anywhere, so I rectified that.
Andrea
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:24 PM »

I'm glad for the rules.  I wouldn't want to buy a horse with another stable's "brand name" splashed all over it.  Buying a horse with a bloodline name is fine, I like buying dynasty horses.  But I'd pay less for a horse with another stable's name on it.  I mean, I like Shanthi and her horses are nice, but it'd be silly to have "Stillwater Rogue" earning paychecks for Storybook Farms.  And I'd never feel like the horse was "mine."
Nan
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 06:01:48 PM »

Yeah, the rules have been in place for a while, and I've seen a stable or two have to change their horses' names because of it. So it's not just recent and you're not being singled out Smylie. :)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Naming Foals « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Naming Foals - Theme by Mustang Forums