Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 22, 2021 11:18am

Final Furlong Forum - Naming Foals

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 03:18:45 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Naming Foals
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Naming Foals  (Read 3730 times)
Smylie
Trainer

Stable Name: The Grey Stable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »

Relax people.....  ;D I don't believe I'm being singled out.....  :o If I did I would have left a long time ago..... :'(
I realize that this game is based on "Thoroughbred" racing and NOT "Harness" racing which is what I'm most familiar with. From that perspective (Harness Racing) there are a number of huge breeders in the business like Hanover, Winbak, Blue Chip and Seelster to name a few and to possess horses from those farms usually infers that the horse has better blood lines (Sire and Dam) and is usually better taken care of than from smaller breeders. These farms run upwards of 200 + yearlings each thru the sales at the end of the year. It is big business and the calling card of many a great horse has those names somewhere in the name. Of course many have bought those yearlings and changed the names and even with the best of breeding you can come up with a dud!!!

Just thoughts from the other side of the fence from an age crazed lunatic!!!!   LOL
If I'd know I was gonna live this long........ I'd have taken better care of myself!!!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »

I was browsing around the jockey club site, and re-looked at their naming rules.  It turns out that they officially don't allow foals to be named after people/farms.  Here is the complete list of their rules:

1. Names consisting of more than 18 letters (spaces and punctuation marks count as letters);
2. Initials such as C.O.D., F.O.B., etc.;
3. Names ending in "filly," "colt," "stud," "mare," "stallion," or any similar horse-related term;
4. Names consisting entirely of numbers. Numbers above thirty may be used if they are spelled out.
5. Names ending with a numerical designation such as "2nd" or "3rd," whether or not such a designation is spelled out;
6. Names of persons unless written permission to use their name is on file with The Jockey Club;
7. Names of "famous" people no longer living unless approval is granted by the Board of Stewards of The Jockey Club;
8. Names of "notorious" people;
9. Names of racetracks or graded stakes races;
10. Recorded names such as assumed names or stable names;
11. Names clearly having commercial significance, such as trade names;
12. Copyrighted material, titles of books, plays, motion pictures, popular songs, etc., unless the applicant furnishes The Jockey Club with proof that the copyright has been abandoned or that such material has not been used within the last five years;
13. Names that are suggestive or have a vulgar or obscene meaning; names considered in poor taste; or names that may be offensive to religious, political or ethnic groups.
14. Names that are currently active either in the stud or on the turf, and names similar in spelling or pronunciation to such names, see 6(E);
15. Permanent names and names similar in spelling or pronunciation to permanent names.

[FF stretches this a bit since we have foals named after books/songs/song lyrics, but in general, FF foal naming follows the JC rules.]
Akilluh
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

Two quick questions, just to be absolutely sure. 

Are those the Don'ts?
And can names be in another language? And in "other languages" I mean Spanish or French, considering that those two languages are the most taught in schools and such.

Oh make it three ^_^
Are special characters allowed? Like the accents over E's and under C's mainly.
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »

Yep, those are the don'ts. 

I'm pretty sure other languages are definitely okay--there's a horse running around here with the name of "Garlic" in Japanese.  Just nothing inappropriate in foreign languages. 

Not sure about the special characters.  They may show up funny in other people's browsers, but I don't think there's any specific rule against special characters.
Akilluh
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »

Oh Ok. Thanks for the clarification Cricket. I'll just try to stay away from the special Charries... I remember when my computer didn't show them... I was like "Aww nuts!" :(  I'd hate for that to happen to another player.
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »

FF stretches this a bit since we have foals named after books/songs/song lyrics, but in general, FF foal naming follows the JC rules.

Is naming horses inspired from song lyrics against the rules? That's where I get most of my names.. but if it's against the rules, I won't use them. ;)
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Sorceress Edea
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »

FF stretches this a bit since we have foals named after books/songs/song lyrics, but in general, FF foal naming follows the JC rules.

Is naming horses inspired from song lyrics against the rules? That's where I get most of my names.. but if it's against the rules, I won't use them. ;)

I think it's fine, 90% of my foals are named after songs, and I find alot of other horses named for things like that too. :)  You're fine to use them, just as long as they follow the other rules.

And Cat, I'm glad you like Ninniku :P  Don't forget Sakana though, his name means Fish in Japanese ;D
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »

Yep.  He was just the example that came to mind.

Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 01:40:00 AM »

Database doesn't seem to care about specially formatted English characters...no typing names on a japanese keyboard or anything, though, 'cause then it's not happy.
Akilluh
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 02:27:54 AM »

I tend to call the Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, or any other language with a heck of alot of "weird" symbols in the written language, Advanced Special Characters.

It would be somewhat annoying to see a horse running around with small rectangles for a name. Oh the horror!
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

there are also a lot of Egyptian names, i tend to use them a lot.  ;D
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Naming Foals « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Naming Foals - Theme by Mustang Forums