Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 22, 2021 5:56am

Final Furlong Forum - How To Train

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 09:56:12 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: How To Train
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How To Train  (Read 9963 times)
Amy Livingston
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2006, 01:09:43 AM »

Yeah. I only had to train my starter racehorse, Malibu, a few times before her fitness became A. I've raced her once and haven't trained her and her fitness is still A. :)
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2006, 05:17:56 PM »

Yeah, fitness seems to take a while to go down, thank goodness.  ;D
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
joe0605
Jockey

Stable Name: Littlefield

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »

The question is - the key to winning races nowadays is to rest/not race for 3 to 4 months in order to achieve a very fast split time 25sec or less and win any race over any distance??
This certainly appears to be the fashion at present, but if so its not realistic because most racehorses need a run to sharpen them up after such a break from running in a race
I train mine 5 days out of seven, maybe should be 2 ???
Any thoughts fellow trainers
Equestriana
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Semiahmoo Stables

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »

I train all of my runners 5 days per week however I only train lightly (walk, jog, very rarely breeze). But I race very little compared to many trainers. Most of my horses run 5-12 times per year and they are boarded fairly frequently. I never rest them for 3-4 months unless they are injured..
Kim - Semiahmoo Stables
Proudly Offered at Stud
ICh. What's Your Point - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Gold Rated
WCh. I'm Your Angel - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire, Silver Rated
GCh. Ace Of Hearts - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Millionaire
NCh. Sunday Paper - Multi-Stake Winner, Multi-Stake Placed, Multi-Millionaire
Starfish
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Starfish Stables

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2015, 12:06:45 AM »

I train my horses 6 days a week, nothing too strenuous and not for long distances. I generally give my horses one race every 3-4 weeks (4-5 if they are 2YO's) and ship them home for a rest every 3 (for 2 & 3 YO's) to 6 (older horses) races.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:52:56 PM by Starfish » Logged
Lewis
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Clicker Lab

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »

I think you can race your horses once or twice a month, if they're successful. I give my horses a really long rest when they don't run well, not to waste money on them :P which especially applies to 2yos (except for GCh. Susurro - I race him quite a lot, but he seems to like it... most of the time).
But the unsuccessful 2yos get a month of rest, then 2-3 weeks of training, then again a few days of rest and a race.
I used to breeze my horses a few days before the race if they had a longer rest, but it doesn't always work well.
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »

By the way, I searched for horses that were raced most frequently; some of them two or three times a month, 20-30 times a year, with a race record of more than 80 races in their lifetime; including WCh. Toast of the Town, FFCh. Black Cherry, WCh. Drum Major, ICh. Eternal Lady, ICh. Gilded Saint. Of my own, I have some mares which have between 50-60 starts in their lifetime, but only two were raced by me - GCh. Embellished and GCh. The Woman In Black (both raced 50 times, and are injury-free). So looks like you don't have to wait 3 months or longer for another start...
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

So looks like you don't have to wait 3 months or longer for another start...

The only reason to wait several months between races (assuming no injury) is for morale gain. If your horse gets farm rest (boarding or at home) between every race it might never need to go to the farm for a long break.

FWIW, I know the race (and training) system isn't as realistic as I'd like - hoping to revamp this in the beta as well, but that will take quite some time, so don't look for it for several months years.
joe0605
Jockey

Stable Name: Littlefield

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2015, 08:52:09 AM »

Very interesting, just looked at Black Cherry's race record, What an amazing record. Most of mine must be very low on morale I guess (over trained!!). All training schedules been changed and hopefully the trainer will keep his job  ;D
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »

No rush on fixing the training's lack of realism...  I'm not looking forward to finding a new training regime!  Ha.  That will certainly level the playing field again, though.
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
Hilda with Clicker
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2015, 05:31:01 AM »

I should perhaps change mine, as it's my worst year ever; with 41% OTB. The best year was 2017 with 63%. Maybe I just had better horses!
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Gintara Lodge

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »

I've certainly struggled with the training and my winning percentage has declined dramatically  ???

I've even looked to purchase horses from other stables with better winning percentages just to peek at their training methods  :o

Been revamping a few lately so time will tell.
Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: How To Train « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, How To Train - Theme by Mustang Forums