Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 21, 2021 10:18am

Final Furlong Forum - Shipping Times & Costs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:18:07 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Shipping Times & Costs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shipping Times & Costs  (Read 8039 times)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »

Yes, if you allow enough time after shipping for your horse to chill out and relax (as much as possible while on a racetrack), then his energy will recover post-shipping.  Likewise, if you allow even more time to add in some training (which, of course, will use up his energy ;)), then his fitness will go back as well.

Keep in mind that energy/fitness loss is also relative...flying your horse from NY to Japan for a race will take a lot more energy than driving your horse from NY to IL for a race.
JasonCameron
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 07:33:03 AM »

Quote from: Shanthi
(Try not to go into too much shock, Jase :P  No one's forcing you to stable your horse in Australia.)

What does this mean? I think my current fever has fried my brain. My legs are sore, my back is sore, my eyes are sore... :cry:

Anyway, I love this! This is totally cool! My horses will pretty much stay in Aussie and then do shipping over to Dubai, England and maybe the USA, but y'all know how I feel about the racing over there... Hehehe, jokes guys! :wink:
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

It means that you will have the largest shipping costs, Jase.  Stables in the US will only have to ship horses over to Aus/England/etc as desired, but you'll have to ship basically everywhere, especially for your jumpers.  ;)  And shipping to/from Australia is pricey.
JasonCameron
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 07:05:42 PM »

I can counter this by basically having my jumpers over in the USA and England only right? And, any dirt horses can basically stay in the USA? Will it cost me any more to have [in theory] a couple of stable set up around the 'world'?
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 07:11:56 PM »

Yes, but all horses will need to return to the farm at some point to regain natural energy.

And yes, if/when stable divisions are setup, it will cost a bundle to "set up shop" in another location.  ;)
JasonCameron
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »

Wow cool, this is exciting. Stable divisions... Cooooool... :)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 10:29:16 PM »

Key word for stable divisions being if.  :P
JasonCameron
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 11:16:46 PM »

Haha, I chose to take more notice of the when... :P Either way, I think the shipping is going to make Final Furlong a lot more realistic. It'll also make it kinda cool when say the champion racers of Australia, England and the USA all have a meeting annually at say Dubai... Very interesting... ;)
jwstern
Racegoer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 12:37:48 AM »

Quote from: JasonCameron
Haha, I chose to take more notice of the when... :P Either way, I think the shipping is going to make Final Furlong a lot more realistic. It'll also make it kinda cool when say the champion racers of Australia, England and the USA all have a meeting annually at say Dubai... Very interesting... ;)

I am interested to see how it ends up working, but I have a fear it will make it somewhat less realistic for non-champion horses. Reason being, that with only 25 races split over multiple geographies, it will be hard to find a good "fit" for your horse without incurring travel costs. So my horse that runs allowance sprints may have to travel quite a bit to run with any regularity, whereas normally, it would be able to stay at one track for a whole racing session.
 Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.

Dale Carnegie

Pnootz Farms -- We exist.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 12:52:19 AM »

Ideally, assuming the revamped race code is stable/well-behaved (:roll:), I would like to have 100 races per week instead of 50.  All of the additional races would be allowance level or lower, which would allow horses to stay at one track longer.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »

Also, you can use training to keep up a horse's fitness if waiting for a race in the future, so if you don't want to spend the money to ship your horse elsewhere for a month, you can spend the time training the horse instead.
jwstern
Racegoer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 05:33:48 AM »

Quote from: Shanthi
Ideally, assuming the revamped race code is stable/well-behaved (:roll:), I would like to have 100 races per week instead of 50.  All of the additional races would be allowance level or lower, which would allow horses to stay at one track longer.

Great, that will make a huge difference.
 Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.

Dale Carnegie

Pnootz Farms -- We exist.
Kunigal
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »

Does your whole racing string have to be at one track or can you have a few here a few there a few overseas, etc??
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 07:03:38 PM »

No, horses can be at different tracks.
Kunigal
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 01:30:45 AM »

Oh yay!!! Thanks for the quick response Shanthi!! This make planning future races a LOT easier!!! Thanks Again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Shipping Times & Costs « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Shipping Times & Costs - Theme by Mustang Forums