Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 18, 2021 6:06pm

Final Furlong Forum - Randomly Generated Retirement/Death Ages

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 10:06:33 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Randomly Generated Retirement/Death Ages
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Randomly Generated Retirement/Death Ages  (Read 3455 times)
Andrea
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 05:09:34 PM »

Sounds... confusing ;).  

I'm assuming/imagining that if a stud retires pre-August of a given year then his status will become Retired Stallion as of the day he retires so that mare owners could book to different stallions (as opposed to simply never getting a foal the next year because the stallion retired but no one knew)?
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 05:46:30 PM »

Yes, he would officially become a Retired Stallion, and mare owners would have the remainder of the year to book to a new stud.
Andrea
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 05:49:03 PM »

Works for me :)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 05:55:10 PM »

Yeah...the end result won't be that confusing.  Horses will have a set retirement date, and a set death date...once they reach either of those dates, they will immediately retire/die.  Once they've retired/died, they obviously won't be able to be bred anymore.

The only slight confusion is what to do with mares...but as I said before, what I will likely do is check if the mare is due to retire within 345 days (normal gestation length) of the breeding date...if so, there will be a chance that the foal will be stillborn, a chance that the foal will be premature, and a chance that the mare will just not end up in foal at all.  If not, the mare will be fine to be bred as normal.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »

OK, all horses now have retirement and death dates assigned.

Studs who will be retiring as of 12/31/09:
Class Act
Conspiracy Theory
Killing Time
Lucky Cigar
Redwood Prince
Resident Evil
Townsend Prince
Valid Wager

All other studs will retire at some point after Dec 31, 2009.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 09:17:54 PM »

I've decided that if a mare is due to retire and won't be breedable, her status will be changed to retired once she has her last foal...this should avoid confusion of trying to breed a mare that's supposed to retire.

Thus, there is no list of mares who will retire on 12/31/09, as they will retire once they foal, when applicable.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 09:21:06 PM »

Finally, as a random snippet of info.

Average retirement age = 17.33288590604
Average death age = 20.140756302521

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 09:41:57 PM »

I think Both should be Random
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 10:16:13 PM »

Um...both are now random.
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »

so i bought killing time and now i cant use him at all?? i wouldnt have even heard of this thread but someone told me as im in the middle of moving. i have people wanting to breed to him this spring so what does that mean i just remove him altogether? im confused.
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 12:37:05 AM »

Yes, it means that of the 100 or so studs in the game, Killing Time was one of the 8 that were slated to retire before 2010 starts.  I'm sorry you didn't get to breed to him, but next year would've been his last year at stud, anyway.
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 02:30:29 AM »

well poo that sucks i was hoping  to breed my two broodmares and my one im going to retire ..... not sure my new ones are or will ever be near qualifying for stud.

i know lucky for you wont

not  sure where   miss lonelyhearts is as far as that goes.

thanks for answering me as quickly as you did i will have to resort to public computers starting monday.

wish me luck all we have a 5 day cross country trip ahead of us with two kids and a dog all stuffed into a ford mustang ( oh an  hubby too!!) LOL
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Andrea
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 03:47:22 AM »

Technically Lucky For You is qualified as long as he retired this year.  Miss Lonelyhearts is not qualified (the difference being Lucky For You has a graded stakes win and Miss Lonelyhearts has an ungraded).

That said, I'd strongly encourage you to retire neither of them.  Neither will be in demand as a stud and there are plenty of people with different/nicer stallions who are offering discounts and/or free breedings to newbies.  Almost every stud owner in the game is more interested in getting foals racing than stud fees.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 03:56:15 AM »

Lucky For You has nice bloodlines, but not really nice enough to recommend him as a stud, especially since there are already 2 Lucky Cigar sons at stud (both for very low fees).

Good luck with the move!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »

We've had our first deaths. :(

Abracadabra and Out of the Bid died this morning.

This also brought to mind the question of "what if a mare is pregnant when she dies?"  I've decided that one of two things will happen:
1. The foal will die with her, if she dies long before the foal's due date (like now, when she'd have only been pregnant for 2-8 months rather than 11)
2. The foal will have a chance to be born prematurely, if she dies close to its due date (since you figure, if she slips in the field and breaks her leg, they could stabilize her enough to induce labor and deliver the baby before putting her down).

Sound OK to everyone?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Randomly Generated Retirement/Death Ages « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Randomly Generated Retirement/Death Ages - Theme by Mustang Forums