Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 18, 2021 10:40am

Final Furlong Forum - Breeding Rankings?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 02:40:52 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Breeding Rankings?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breeding Rankings?  (Read 4468 times)
JasonCameron
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »

Sounds cool! I like the idea of minerals or gems...

Say Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze (like credit cards or airpoint programs ;)). Or maybe Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire. :)
Cheq
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 09:23:50 PM »

;D and I thought what I suggested was complicated ;D ;D At least my way was more even for mares if not slightly skewed toward great mares. I don't envy you figuring this one out Shanthi ;)
Nan
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 10:23:59 PM »

I'm definitely no breeding expert but I have been thinking about it a bit...

I'm all for keeping the number of rankings small. A precious metals theme (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze) would be best because it's easy to differentiate at a glance whtat the value of the ranking is. Then, perhaps, to assign studs to those ranks, a point system could be used, like:
10 points for every MSW foal
5 points for every SW foal
3 points for every SP foal
1 point for every winning foal

And then to attain a certain rank, a stud would have to have so many points, like:
Platinum Stud: 100+ points
Gold Stud: 75-100 points
Silver Stud: 50-75 points
Bronze Stud: 15-50 points

The same system could be used for mares, only with lesser points to qualify for the ranks (since they produce fewer foals), so, say:
Platinum Dam: 75+ points
Gold Dam: 50-75 points
Silver Dam: 25-50 points
Bronze Dam: 10-25 points

Then to break it down into various categories, like dirt, turf, SC, 2 yo, 3 yo, 4 yo+, the database could just look and see how many wins, SP, SW a horse has had in those years or on those surfaces, and assign points for each category. So you might be able to look at a stud and see that he's at Platinum rank overall, is Gold for flat runners, Silver for SCers, and only Bronze for 2 yo runners...so you could see that his foals tend to mature late but tend to be pretty nice flat runners overall.

That's a really rough and dirty way to hash it out, I realize. And not all studs/dams are going to qualify for a ranking...but not all should, right? Because the rankings are a way of seeing which horses are the best at producing certain qualities.

Hopefully I'm not shooting too far off the mark here...The idea just occurred to me so I figured I'd write it down. :)
Andrea
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »

I dunno... the points/foal seems good, but seems like you'd have to average it to some sort of average number of points per foal... Seems like a mare who's produced nothing but MSW's, even if it's just 4 MSWs, should rank higher than a horse who might've produced like 12 allowance winners.  I like your system, but it'd be hard to fairly apply to horses still actively being bred..
Sorceress Edea
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »

I like the Precious Metals/Gems idea.  Perhaps I could have a mare that was so sad she was Fool's Gold.  Or perhaps some fake cheap version of a diamond.
skyclad
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 04:05:34 AM »

I like the idea of the precious metals. Also the titles for really lame horses...we could have Moissanite and stuff. :p
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 04:59:31 AM »

Breeding Rankings are up.  :)  634 horses have rankings, based on average race record of foals.

Each raced foal was ranked based on race record (2yos got a bonus b/c, well, they're 2yos ;)):
MSW = 20 points (2yos: 20pts)
SW = 10 points (2yos: 13pts)
MSP = 7 points (2yos: 11pts)
SP = 5 points (2yos: 9pts)
Mult. Winner = 3 points (2yos: 7pts)
Winner = 1pt (2yos: 5pts)

The rankings are:
Platinum: Ave points > 12pts - Mares must have at least 2 raced foals to qualify, studs must have at least 10 raced foals to qualify
Gold: Ave points > 8pts - Studs must have at least 5 raced foals to qualify
Silver: Ave points > 4pts
Bronze: Ave points > 0

Current Rankings are:
Platinum: 27 Horses (1 stud)
Gold: 122 Horses (10 studs)
Silver: 254 Horses (69 studs)
Bronze: 231 Horses (57 studs)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 04:59:50 AM »

Oh, and "anti-rankings" were not implemented, for fear of insulting various horses.  ;)
JasonCameron
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 05:59:16 AM »

Just wondering how Highland Rogue didn't make Platinum Stud? It's just confused me a bit as to how the rankings are worked out.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 06:03:33 AM »

Rogue has a total of 714 points, and 74 foals.  Thus an average of 9.6 points, and a Gold ranking.

(I was surprised, too ;)  Think the "problem" is that Rogue has really really really nice foals, but only 24 of them, and they don't get bonus points for being superstars rather than "just" multiple stakes winners)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:06:07 AM by Shanthi » Logged
Megabucks12003
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »

Wow, really cool system it's going to be a big help. Now I'm going to have to look up some studs and see where they "stand" just for fun.
lckychrm150
Hotwalker

Stable Name: Willow Brooke Stables

~Race For Your Life~

View Profile Willow Brooke Stable
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 06:18:12 PM »

this is going to really help newbees pick studs!!!!!! I had a very hard time picking my first stud!
"No ride is ever the last one. No horse is ever the last one you will have.  Some how there will always be other horses and other places to ride them."
"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
http://www.freewebs.com/lckychrm150/index.htm

Days Handicapped: 2
Win-      10  x  $250    =  $4000
Place-    5  x  $100    =  $500
Show-     3  x  $50     =  $150
Quinella-  7 x  $500   =  $3500
Trifecta-  6 x  $1000  =  $6000
Total-$14,150
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 01:27:00 AM »

Breeding Rankings are now listed here.  This page is also linked off the "Breeding" page.
Sorceress Edea
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 08:14:18 PM »

Hum, I just thought of something.  Because 2yos receive a boost, it is perfectly possible to have a Gold rated mare this year and have her slip quite a ways back down the next year, right?  And will the new 2yo crop count before they race?  As in:  Mare A has  5 foals, a yearling, a 2yo, a 3yo, a 4yo, and a 5yo.  It is January first, so her 2yo hasn't raced yet.  Would you divide her points by 4, because she DOES have a 2yo, or by 3, because the 2yo hasn't raced yet?

It's worded to make it sound complicated, sorry!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

Yes, many high-ranked mares may drop in rankings once they have more than 1 or 2 foals racing.

Rankings are only based on raced foals, so 2yos don't count until they actually get to the track.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Breeding Rankings? « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Breeding Rankings? - Theme by Mustang Forums