Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 20, 2021 2:06pm

Final Furlong Forum - Scratched Horses

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:06:00 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Scratched Horses
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scratched Horses  (Read 1083 times)
Bam
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this...

Within the past three hours, Scattered and Day Trick were removed from the Crimson Lad Breeders' Stakes (Grade 3). I did NOT scratch them! I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, I'm actually panicking right now. Is this a bug, or was someone in my account? Shanthi, can you tell what happened?

An answer would be appreciated. Or perhaps just someone to calm me down. I don't know what happened, but I was really counting on them to run... It's not big deal that they aren't... and them being scratched and no refund isn't a problem... I just need to know if someone was in my account. Either way, I'm changing my password for my anxiety's sake.

Thank you in advance.

-Bam
taylon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:10:37 AM »

Just wondering- I haven't looked into it, but your horse has to be nominated, then has to qualify for the Breeder's Series races.  I haven't looked or anything, but... were they qualified for the race?  There is a link somewhere on the message board where you can check to see what horses are qualified for these races. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:29:49 AM by taylon » Logged
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:32:10 AM »

I have been going through the races and scratching non-qualified/nominated horses from the Breeders' Stakes races.  No one hacked into your account, don't worry.
Bam
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

Okay! I didn't realize they had to be qualified. Sorry for the trouble of having to scratch my horses, Shanthi.
Smylie
Trainer

Stable Name: The Grey Stable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »

Two questions then................. 1)We won't be getting our entry fee refunded will we? 2) Why wouldn't the code check to see if our horses are eligible for the race in the same manner as all the other checks and balances that don't let us enter stakes winning horses into Maiden races?
If I'd know I was gonna live this long........ I'd have taken better care of myself!!!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »

1)We won't be getting our entry fee refunded will we?

No.  There is a "Breeders' Series" listed on the nomination page, and a couple of threads on it in the forum.  Plus, I reminded people about the qualification thing about a month ago.

2) Why wouldn't the code check to see if our horses are eligible for the race in the same manner as all the other checks and balances that don't let us enter stakes winning horses into Maiden races?

Because the code would then have to calculate (as you enter) who the currently qualified horses are and then accept/reject your horse.  (Same goes with the Breeders' Cup races, which had no notice as you were entering about whether they qualified.)  Not only that, but if you entered on, say, Sunday, for a race that ran on Saturday with a horse that was an alternate, your horse could potentially un-qualify itself with Wednesday's races, so even having the code check at the time of entry doesn't do much good.
Smylie
Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »

As for the money.......... I'll take the $15,000 spanking and won't make that mistake again. As for the other question about the qualifications, you are talking about horses that HAVE been nominated etc.. What I was talking about are the horses that were NOT in a crop by a stud that WAS nominated. I think the first check that the entry process should make is, was the horse you are enterings sire ever nominated to the Breeders. If it wasn't, it just won't let you enter. That way you don't have dumb people like me trying to enter horses where they don't belong. Just my thoughts on how to avoid scratching horses that shouldn't be there in the first place.
If I'd know I was gonna live this long........ I'd have taken better care of myself!!!
Dawn
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 05:26:27 PM »

I think you are missing something here...

For Breeders Stakes... the Stallion is not nominated... the breeder nominates the entire years foal crop... regardless of who the sire is...

So If I have a foal crop of 6 horses for 2007 and they are all by different stallions... I can still noinate them all to the Breeders Stakes... then if I sell 5 of those foals... and they all qualify to run... they can run for the current year 2010... to run in 2011 I would have to renominate the entire foal crop again...

So you see... this is totally different from Breeders Cup...

Hope that helps a little...
Smylie
Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »

Breeders Stakes or Breeders Crown.......... either way it makes no difference in what I'm saying. If the crop OR the sire were never nominated in either case, that should tell the entry system not to allow that horse to be entered. In computer lingo if these conditions are checked and not met then the horse can't be entered. It's "seems" simple to me.
Andrea
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:58:55 PM »

It's been a long time since I looked at the nomination code, but if I remember right, the Breeder's Cup and Breeder's Series handle nominations fairly differently than normal races on the "back end" because of the universal/lifetime nature of those nominations.  I imagine it's possible, but I'm not sure it's too high on Shanthi's to-do list.  I'm sure if you asked nicely she might look into it more for you ;).

What's logically "simple" can take anywhere from 30 min to 5 hours to get a computer to do, especially if it's adding a feature to something that's already in place.
Smylie
Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »

LOL............ Yes I agree...... we talk about simple and have "NO" idea how long these things take in the life of our resident computer programmer(s). I would ask that if it's possible to put up that sort of gate to keep the lunatics out of the Breeders Stakes and Crown that it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the good information!!!
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »

Okay, to make sure I don't accidentally enter a race that I'm not qualified for.. I need to ask some questions. I don't really get this part of FF.  :-[

Are the races that say Breeders' Stakes in the name all the ones that you have to qualify for? What I had originally thought was that Breeders' Cup day was the only day with stakes that you had to qualify for. But, if the above question is true, then stakes that require qualification run year-round, and Breeders' Cup day is there just because there's a bunch of major qualification-required stakes are run in one day?

I haven't entered any Breeders' Stakes yet, I don't think, but I don't want to make a future mistake.

Sorry, the Breeders' Cup area of Final Furlong (and real life) is really hard for me to understand, even though I read the FAQ and try to get it. Maybe one day it'll click.  :)
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
JasonCameron
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 12:24:13 AM »

Okay, to make sure I don't accidentally enter a race that I'm not qualified for.. I need to ask some questions. I don't really get this part of FF.  :-[

Are the races that say Breeders' Stakes in the name all the ones that you have to qualify for? What I had originally thought was that Breeders' Cup day was the only day with stakes that you had to qualify for. But, if the above question is true, then stakes that require qualification run year-round, and Breeders' Cup day is there just because there's a bunch of major qualification-required stakes are run in one day?

I haven't entered any Breeders' Stakes yet, I don't think, but I don't want to make a future mistake.

Sorry, the Breeders' Cup area of Final Furlong (and real life) is really hard for me to understand, even though I read the FAQ and try to get it. Maybe one day it'll click.  :)

Nope.

The only Breeders Stakes races that require nomination are the series races at the end of the year (during November and December). You'll notice there are three races in each category (determined by sex / age). They increase in grade status.

You can find all this info by searching the forum and also in the FAQ. :)
JasonCameron
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 12:28:40 AM »

http://www.finalfurlong.org/forum/index.php?topic=1516.0

Here's a detailed thread I found for y'all.
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 09:46:29 PM »

Psshhh. Qualification. Sorry, I meant nomination.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 09:48:55 PM »

The list of races that require nomination is linked off the entry page.  Also, races that require nomination say so when you enter them.
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 10:15:25 PM »

Oh, okay. I'll be sure to check every time.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 10:21:21 PM »

With the exception of the races that require qualification (Breeders' Series, Breeders' Cup, Triple Crown), you will not be able to enter your horse if they are not nominated.  (Well, actually, you'll be able to enter them if they're not nominated, but as this thread states, they will just be scratched if they're not qualified.)
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 10:58:15 PM »

Oh, okay. So for example this coming up race, Highland Rogue Breeders' Stakes you need qualification for?

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 10:59:04 PM »

Yes.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Scratched Horses « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Scratched Horses - Theme by Mustang Forums