Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Oct. 18, 2021 9:04am

Final Furlong Forum - How'd You Do 2011?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:04:58 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Mixed Auction  |  Topic: How'd You Do 2011?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How'd You Do 2011?  (Read 2840 times)
Nan
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

I had to fight tooth and claw, but I managed to get a couple. ;)

First I was happy to welcome Lady's Maid to my stable. A 16.1h, dark-grey 2 y.o. filly, she is by Silver-rated Those Will Do, out of Traveling Maid. She is 1/2 to MSW Runfortheborder. She's already managed to win a race and place in a couple of others in her starts so far, so I am eager to see what she is capable of. I paid $40,500 for her.

Secondly, I was able to snag Cat Burglar, a handsome dark bay 3 y.o. colt who stands at a strapping 17 hands. He's by Almost Home, out of Silver-rated Miss Kitty II; he's 1/2 to Stakes-placed Armada. In six starts he has only been off the board once. I was definitely looking for reliable runners that I can race for a while, so hopefully he will fit the bill just fine. He was a $26,000 purchase.

There were several others who caught my eye, but I had to bow out due to the bidding limit. C'est la vie! It was fun while it lasted. :)
Dawn
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:31 AM »

Battle Hill went to buy broodmares, and came home with 4 of the lovely Ladies...

First was Into The Myst 2005-Grey-Mare by Native Dancer (S) and out of Cygnet (B), making 1/2 to the Platinum ranked mare Black Swan. She was Multi placed and has produced one foal so far by Alydar. She was shipped to FF for a date with Seattle Slew for 2012 and is on her way back to her new home.

Second was High Point 2007-Bay-Mare by Point Given (S) and out of High Bidder (B) (Easy Street (B). She's a Winner & Multi placed, but has not shown any real talent this year, so I retired her to brood, and she has been sent to FF for a date with Spectacular Bid for 2012.

Third was Mon Amour 2003-Grey-Mare by Satin Romance (S) and out of Native Princess (S) (Native Dancer (S), making her 1/2 to MSW Ch. Cigar's Native. She was also multi placed and has had one foal so far by Red Sunset. She has been sent to FF for a date with Sunday Silence for 2012.

And Last but not least was Fleet Keeper 2005-Bay-Mare by NCh Fleet Street (S) (What's It Worth (G) x Fleeting Moment (G) and out of Gatekeeper (B). she was unraced and has produced two foals so far. She has been sent to FF for a date with Easy Goer for 2012.

With these stallions retiring at the end of the breeding season this year... I wanted a shot at breeding to them... Lots of pretty babies next summer :)
Lindsay-CloverSprings
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 01:57:21 PM »

I was looking at a lot of the nicer broodmares early on, but spent too much money at the beginning to bring back a home bred and couldn't really get the mares I wanted, but thats life. Ended up with three horses when it is all said and done however:

First off, I purchased back our home bred mare What's Honor, (WCh. What's Debatable (S) x Honor Bright (S)). She is 1/2 sibling to MSW ICh. Chivalry, and has not been off the board while racing yet this year. Hoping to round out a nice racing year, and then decide whether to breed her or not next year as her dam Honor Bright is now at Delta Ro stables. $30,500 not bad for a mare I wanted back ;)

Next was an Unnamed foal originally who has been given a name, Fenix, (Seabiscuit (S) x Fire Flyer (S)). Just a little play on words for 'Phoenix,'  ;D She is 1/2 sibling to MSW Ch. On The Fly and SW Ch. Hellfire, with a couple stakes placed and winners mixed in to the line. I really wanted her as well because of this being Seabiscuit's last year at stud. Purchased for $30,500.

Lastly was a mare I ended up snagging while not able to get some other mares that I wanted... Venture Capitalist, (Easy Street (B) x Risky Venture (S)). Nice looking mare with her first foal on the track being a winner this year, and with her dam Risky Venture having foaled MSW Ch. Fast Fleet Feet and Ch. Lone Adventurer. She has been sent off to FF to breed with Count Fleet for his last year at stud. Purchased for $33,500.

Lindsay
Argus Sheldrake
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »

Well I managed to bring to their new home a few of the horses I had originally wanted to pick up from this auction.

The first mare we got was Blazin' Hearts. 2002 - Chestnut - Silver Ranked Broodmare by the silver ranked Brazen Remark (the deceased sire of MSW's Ch. Semi Sweet, and Ch. On The Fly) and out of the bronze ranked Hearts Aflame.  Blazin' Heats was purchased in foal to ICh. Alley Cat for January 2012, this sire is by the silver ranked Alydar, and out of the Platinum ranked mare Highland Dreamer, he is a fairly new stallion who's 2yos will be hitting the track next year.  She currently has 3 Colts, and 1 Filly to her name, Her 2007 Colt Ch. Groupie by Dixieland Jazz is a Stakes Winner.

The second mare we got was Miss Tea.  1997 - Dark Bay - Bronze Ranked Broodmare by the silver ranked Seattle Slew who is scheduled to be retired next year (He is alo a silver ranked broodmare sire) and out of the bronze ranked Reine-de-Course mare Tea Time she was then sent to Final Furlong to be bred to the silver ranked Chef-de-race stallion Danzig for a late 2012 foal, Danzig is scheduled to be reitred in 2012.

The last mare we managed to get into our barn was Northern Lady II. 2002 - Bay -Silver Ranked Broodmare by the bronze ranked Northern Slew and out of the silver ranked Ch. Drifter's Lady.  She has been sent to Final Furlong to be bred to the silver ranked sire Sunday Silence for a 2012 foal.  Sunday Silence is another stallion that will be retired in 2012.

With the addition of these wonderful 3 mares that brings our broodmare band up to 10 and a total of 10 new foals to look forward to with anticipation and crossed fingers next year.  2012 will be Sheldrake Racings first foal crop that we will have bred on our own.
Wolfhound
Beta Testers
Trainer

Stable Name: Darkwood Stables

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:43 PM »

A good auction for Darkwood bringing home a full complement of five.
First was a grey weanling colt Snow Leopardby Twin Oaks out of Lil Kitty. Both parents are bronze ranked but I have to admit I bought him more for his name  ;)

next an unnamed filly now called Liquid Fire by bronze ranked Ch Turn'n'Burn out of silver ranked Liquid Gold whose first foal Golden Oak is already showing promise as a 2yo. I have high hopes for this girl!

The  only currently racing purchase was Malina By GCh Akhenaten (B) and Ch Brightly Burning (S) she is half to SW Ch Bold'n'Bright, Ch Light My Way and SW Ch Rooftop Bandit. Placed third in her only outing I am very keen to see her run. She should also make a good broodmare in time.

Finally I managed to obtain 2 broodmares, not my first choices, but I'm very happy with them anyway as there is always such a demand for broodmares.
Forgotten Promise By Forget It out of Word of Honor (both Silver) She has only raced twice both times as a 4yo and placed once.  She is half to SW last Word and MSW On My Word. Her first foal Promise Keeper has run twice  for a second and third place and as she is currently in foal to Distinct Posibili (two for the price of one  :D)I hope this is a good sign for the future.

My last purchse was Top Trick a bronze rated created mare. She was in foal to Unbridled but went into labour during the auction and sadly the foal died a short time after birth. However the mare is fine according to the vet and will be sent to stud once I have had a chance to look at the stallions available.

I'm pleased with all my new horses and look forward to seeing how the go over the next few months. I'm especially looking forward to the foaling season next year to see my own mares' foals.

Hope everybody got some of what they wanted :)

Gwen

Darkwood Stables
Degs74
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 08:04:19 AM »

I did ok.

I picked up a Weanling colt out of Magic Cross.
I have high hopes for him and have named him Goodison Flyer.

I bought a 4 y/o stallion called Kool Karma who should do well now I have brought him to England

I also bought another 4 y/o stallion called Victory Forever   who already has a bit of form behind him so forever optimistic

I was looking for Broadmares but they all went for too much for a relative newbie , except for a couple that went for really low prices that some how sneeked through undetected and unapposed!

rebelrun
Jockey

Stable Name: Coleman Branch

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 05:18:43 PM »

This was probably the most fun I've had with an online "auction" and the most work I've put in to one.   Whatever plans I had for horses to buy got thrown out the window in the first couple days, though.  I only came away with one horse that was on my original list.  I ended up buying 4 horses total, and spending something like $67.5 thousand.  My new additions are:

1. Blue Slew Dancer (dark bay), a 2005 stallion who's still running the money.  He's out of Rhythm n' Blues (S) by Northern Slew (B), so he's got the pedigree to be great, even if he is six years old.  I'd love to see him end up as my first stud-worthy boy, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  Got him at a steal for $6500. 

2. Reason to Serve (chestnut), a 2008 colt who I bid for near the end, after losing several of my top choices.  He's by War Admiral (S) out of A Reason To Love (S).  I'm definitely expecting good things from him.  His dam has produced 4 winners out of 4 foals racing.  So far, he's been on the boards 3 times out of 4 races. 

3.  The Fugitive (chestnut), also a 2008 colt, was the only horse I won from my original "want list".  He's out of Believe Me (S) by Strike the Gold (S).  He's finished in the top 3 in six out of 7 races, so I can't wait to see him run for me.  Both sire and dam have produced multiple stakes winners and millionaires.  I'm hoping I'm right in seeing his potential.

4. Finally, my most expensive purchase (right at $30k) was Pretty Classy, a dark bay 2002 broodmare.  She's out of Pretty Awesome (B) by Class Act (S).  I didn't initially bid on this mare, as I overlooked her.  However when the dust had settled after the first few days of the auction, she caught my eye.  I have a Stakes Winner off Class Act lines, so I jumped at the chance to buy her.  She's got three foals on the ground, with only one (Djinn) racing.  Djinn (by Devil May Care) has been on the boards 5 of 5 races.  I'm planning to breed her to a Higland line on July 16 to try for a super-nice foal.   
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »

We picked up one more.   ;D  Again, completely in love.

We managed to score Liquid Gold.  She´s a 2002 mare by Fire´n´Smoke (B) and Gold Rush (S) by Mr. Prospector.  She´s half to a couple of stakes caliber horses, the most notable being a MSW by A.P. Indy, Golden Text.  Liquid Gold´s only foal to race, Golden Oak by bronze-rated Twin Oaks is already stakes placed as a 2yo and has won 3 out of 4 starts.  We have sent her out to Kentucky to be bred to AP Indy for a 3/4 sibling to Golden Text.
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »

Ohhh, no! I hoped that there would be at least one horse when I got back from vacation..  :P I was excited for bringing a new racehorse or broodmare home too.

Oh well, there's always next year.  :-\
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:15 PM »

I´m sorry things worked out for you that way.  I know what I´ve done in the past if I haven´t been around for an auction is to give my login and password to someone, as well as the list of ponies that I want.  That way, at least there´s a chance of getting some bids in. 

The foal auction in December is a GREAT place to pick up some yearlings  , soon to be 2yos if you want to increase your racing stock for a reasonable price.  Babies tend to go for a lot less than they would if they were racing age (or even 2yos!), but unfortunately it means that you won´t get a quick turn around. 

Good luck.
Bam
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »

I did just that and made sure Edea still had all my login and gave her a very long list of horses to look out for :D

Managed to get three babies.

Black Clouds is a 2010 filly by The Black out of Cloud Surfing. She's already 14hh and still has quite a few months left to mature. I was ecstatic to get this filly because I was going to breed two mares to The Black because I have always wanted a The Black filly and because he's retiring this year, I wanted to make sure I at least had a 50/50 chance of getting a live foal. Now I can save myself some money :D She's 1/2 to SW Flame Surfing and SP Reachforthestars.

Bold Bourbon is a 2010 colt by Bold Ruler and out of Grannies Cognac. I was excited for this colt because my racing Bold Ruler colt is currently 100% on the board with 1 win (I probably just jinxed the poor colt). I'm really looking forward to him hitting the track next year. He's 1/2 to MSW Ancient Dare.

Lady Amelie is a 2011 filly by Secretariat out of First Lady. She's full sibling to NCh Government Secret and 1/2 to Snowbird's own My Lady's Princess. Other 1/2 siblings include SW/MSP Millionaire GCh Ladylove, SW/MSP Ch Legendary Lady, and MSW/MSP Multi-Millionaire NCh The First. I cannot wait for this filly to race! I'm so excited.
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »

Yeah, I'll have to wait for December.  ;) I got a couple of good foals to add to the group last year, so hopefully this year will be just as good to make up for the mixed auction.  ;D
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Arab Lady
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »

I'm a little late posting this, none the less I'm excited to have my first broodmares and hombreds coming next year.

The first one off the van was That'sMyPointBaby a 2011 chestnut filly by Point Given and out of My Babu (Planet Hollywood) all Silver Ranked. I absolutely love Point Given and was excited to get this filly. I'm hoping she turns out to be a nice racer for Southern Cross, and future broodmare.

Next came Dramatic Flair a 2004 bay mare by [Assualt[/b] and out of A Certain Flair both Silver Ranked. I sent her off to Stillwater Farm to be bred to [GCh. Highland Laird (S)[/b] Dawn talked this stud up so much I had to breed to him! This will be Dramatic Flair's first foal.

Our third purchase was Frolicking a 2006 grey mare by NCh. Those Will Do (S) and out of Trveling Frolic (B). I sent her to FF to be bred to Unbridled (S). This will be  Frolicking's 2nd foal.

Fourth was Ch. A Time For War a 2005 bay mare by Man O'War and out of Play Time She is a MSP mare. I sent her to FF to also be bred to Unbridled (S). I really like this stallion and I think this cross will give me a really top race horse.

Fifth and final from the Mixed Auction came Little Rock a 2002 chestnut mare by Who Says and out of Lady Godiva She is Bronze Ranked. I sent her to FF and splurged a little, she was bred to Cigar (G) Chef-de-Race. this will be her 5th foal and the one I'm most excited about.

I'm looking forward to the Select Auction in hopes of picking up one or two more horses. I know that will be the best I can do. Love the Auctions!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Mixed Auction  |  Topic: How'd You Do 2011? « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, How'd You Do 2011? - Theme by Mustang Forums