Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 23, 2021 12:21am

Final Furlong Forum - 1/23

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:21:57 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 1/23
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1/23  (Read 767 times)
skyclad
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:21:08 PM »

Woo! One out for us..

Infinite Frontier was in his first stakes today, the Gr. 2 Theo Marks Stakes and did well, placing second behind the very nice Slip In The Mud.
Zurg
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »

My only entry did not so well  :(
I have now shipped my two stakes boys home for a good long rest!
Nan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

A.P. Cigar was dead last in his allowance. :(

Back To The Future and Caledonian both ran in an NW1 for 3 yos...Cal won it, and Marty placed 3rd. Good job guys!

Cheatin' Heart was 4th of 11 in her allowance.

Jazz Sonnet was 4th of 12 in his NW3. We might try tossing some equipment on him next time to see if that makes a difference.

Storm Of Swords was 2nd of 9 in an NW3.

and Believe In Love placed 2nd in the ungr. Fred Capossella Stakes. Yay!!
Moochi
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »

Colors O' War didn't do terribly, but I definitely expected better from him... 5/12. Not really his fault though, considering I messed up and entered him in a race a tad too early. Thus, he ran out of steam... Yeah. Really is my fault. Ugh. :S

In lighter news--Artful Acres won a lovely claim on Innit To Winnit (who I put the pedigree in for... And whose name is super dorky and probably way too ironic for its own good... But yeah :D). Hopefully I can figure this girl out long enough to make a decent enough racehorse out of her, and maybe a VERY decent broodmare (fingers crossed). Haven't really had a "dud" yet, but that doesn't mean it's impossible... (Gosh I'm optimistic today... lol). EDIT: And this girl shall be nicknamed "Wish" for all my wishful thinking... ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:42:54 PM by Moochi » Logged
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

By no means a bad week, but still disappointed. 

Drowning, who won his stakes race last time out and has just been overall 100% promising came in a very disappointing 6/12 in his stakes race.  He had his favorite jock, he'd come off a recent break at the farm, no changes in equipment and only 1 furlong different than what he likes best.  Better luck next time?

Fit to be Jim ran against the boys and won her ungraded stakes.  Her first SW since she was on a hot streak as a 3yo.  Maybe she's gotten a 2nd wind?  Definitely pleased with her.

Gotta Be A Natural is still quite the natural.  She won her allowance race in a deadheat against the girls.  It was probably a little too long for her, but she's got grit.  Gonna miss this one when she retires.

Claimed a very nice filly in Never Been Kissed for $15,000.  She looks to be a really nice dirt sprinter, albeit lightly raced at two.  She's out of silver-ranked mare, Kiss of Time, making her 1/2 sister to The Fighting Fifty and she's full-sister to silver-ranked mare Whisperifyoudare, who is also by No Duplicate, a line we haven't had the privilege to own yet.  Very excited about her.  Her record thus far is 4 2-0-0-1 $18,700.  She's been sent home to rest up for a bit, because I'm not sure how NE works for FF horses.
Andrea
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »

Cat, I think your standards have gotten too high on your racing string if that set of results is disappointing to you ;).

Tag You're It started us off with a win over 8 other horses in a NW3 sprint.  Not a bad way to start off his 3yo season.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  I'm pleasantly surprised by his racing ability.  He's a twin, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Ecstasy is very cute, but perhaps not as talented as we'd like.  She finished 5th/7.  A few more races and we may see if she likes a new owner better.

Music City Miracle finished 5th.  She's a nice consistent allowance level mare so 5th to start out her 4yo year isn't too bad.

Sesen finished 5th in the Holy Bull.  We were hoping that this boy might be our Derby prospect as most of our horses these days are turf runners, but now we're not so sure.  Another stakes start or two over the course of the spring should help us decide.

So, nothing extremely exciting, but nothing extremely awful either.
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »

A so-so day for us (some good, some not so good):

First off, 6YO I Put A Spell On U came home 7th/7...but we expected that.  We believe she's way over the hill now, and so we're just trying to get her final races under her belt so she can be retired.  I never race my horses before they have an "A" for energy on my training summary, so that I know they're at least somewhat fully rested (or will be by the time they actually race, anyway!), but I may enter her in two closer upcoming races just to get it over and done with (she's at 8 races)...   :-\

4YO Outoftheballpark had his first SC start today.  And although his finish doesn't look too impressive (5th/7), he *DID* lead up until the 8f marker of this 8.5f race.  Maybe he'll improve with more stamina work (or maybe I can find a slightly shorter SC race...hmm).  I'm just glad to see this boy show some competitiveness!  FINALLY!

5YO Trial By Fire finished a dismal 7th/14 in a really competitive field.  Tough times at Aqueduct with it's limited races and abudant quality horses!  We may consider shipping him elsewhere to run for a while...

3YO Kiasport continues to prove that she has heart, finishing 3rd/10 in the First Lady Handicap (G3) in Gulfstream.  That brings her stakes record to 3 (0-2-1), which isn't half bad!!  Plus, she beat the winner her last time out, so I'm definitely happy with the results.   ;D

Last but not least, we had a successful claim on 3YO Blueyesnlevis, whose name I've long admired.  To boot, she's a consistant runner: her 2YO record was 12 (3-2-3-1) and she started her 3YO season off with a win today!  Oh yeah - did I mention she's a flashy strawberry roan as well??  And only cost me $5,000?  What a deal!   :o
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

Naw, good results, it's just that Drowning was a huge disappointment.  He's my derby hopeful (along with McTaggert), and thus far, he'd never been out of the money.  Plus, Gotta Be's win was only an allowance.  She's definitely got a couple more SWs in her.   ;)
Andrea
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »

So should I be rooting for him to do badly so you'll like McTaggert more then? ;)
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »

McT. starts at Aqueduct on the 30th at 6f on the dirt.  I'm hoping they can go 1-2 in the Derby and one of them either win the Crown, or one foil the other's chances.  I'd be happy with either outcome.  That's not much to ask, is it?  In...gosh...5 years of playing, I've never had a pony head for the Derby, as I mostly have a) sprinters, b) turfers, c) fillies  d) late maturers that like to run.  So, I'm tickled pink and spoiled that I have two dirt colts that seem to be super promising. 

Heck, HC ruined me, Andrea.  If my pony doesn't win all the time, I just don't know what to do.  Might as well geld 'em and put 'em up for sale.  ;) 
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »

Told ya you wouldn't regret buying him. ;)  (Though I kinda regret giving you such an awesome deal on him :P)
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

You were right, Shanthi.  Though I was a tad skeptical, given his lack of SWs.  But when have you ever led me wrong?  You also were the one who pointed out that Fleeting Beauty was on the adoption page, back when she thought she was a racehorse. =) 

More power to Army Laird.  Maybe McT'll be the next big thing.  I mean, look at how he measures up...Storybrook owned mare (Second Chance + Unknown Powers), kickass stud (Laird <3), 5th foal of their dam, dirt lovin' tendencies.  Of course, I'm jinxing the poor guy as we speak, but a girl can hope, right?
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »

Dismal day here.  :-\

Tolateyouloose ran in a 9.5f Allowance for 4yo+ with thirteen other horses besides him. He broke out of the gait at sixth and guarded that spot the entire time. Not great, not bad.

My only girl racer, Fall For Me ran a 9f NW1 Allowance for 3yo+ today. She was out in a feild of seven, inlcuding herself. She started out in last and just never made it, placing seventh. She sure hasn't proved herself out there yet. Who knows, she may make a nice broodmare..
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 1/23 « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 1/23 - Theme by Mustang Forums