Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 20, 2021 2:27am

Final Furlong Forum - 2/16

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:27:22 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 2/16
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2/16  (Read 645 times)
Sorceress Edea
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »

Henriquet was the only horse we sent out today.  This 3yo filly showed potential when we bought her from FF last year, and she raced under Shizuka Takara silks until this year.  Her first start of the year was the Ungr. Boo La Boo stakes today, and she did quite well!  She placed a game 3rd, but was coming up fast in the end.  We'll try a bit longer with this filly and see how she does.
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »

Okay day today.

After a promising performance last time out, Magic's Promise, was a disappointing 7th.  I think he might be more of a classic pony than a sprinter.  Now the trick is remembering that.

Race 18 was our highlight of the day.  Fit to be Jim and Catwoman, who hasn't shown much lately, went 1-2 in their allowance with really nice SF numbers to boot.

Sunday Joy went out and held her own among the boys today, placing a decent 2nd in a mixed field.  It looks like she might be an endurance pony, as she was closing nicely at the end.  Blessingindisguise ran like a sprinter and got bogged down in the final furlong.  Fool's Gold was a disappointment.

Fear Factor, after a brilliant start last time out, came in with a paycheck at 5/10 with no inclination to break from the pack.  Disappointing.

Unconditional came in a disappointing 6/10.  We may need to fiddle with equipment on her, as the jock has mentioned she hates running nekkid, despite her fabulous efforts as of late.
Maviko
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »

Unique Opportunity did us proud bring home another stakes win! I'm sort of wishing I hadn't gelded him, but that's in the past. He's doing a stint around Australia for a bit and it's looking promising!

Two of our girls, London Eye and Shamanistic ran 9th and 7th in their allowance which is disappointing but it was a test for Shamanistic to see if the breeding barn was the right move for her.

CascadeJade
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »

Well my great master plan didn't work with Gazelle in the GI Epsom, she completely flopped, I guess back to what I know worked before and hope the code hasn't changed too much for her sake.
Starfish
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Starfish Stables

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »

I thought that we had a great chance of bringing home one winner today and I was right. It just wasn't the one I thought would be the winner.

Secret Society started off the day for us with a 6th/12 in a NW2 Allowance. She is very confusing as she seems to run two decent races then one bad race. If she continues this pattern, hopefully, she'll do well in her next two races.

Next up was Medieval Time who finished 4th/6 in his Allowance. I was expecting him to finish 6th so his 4th place was a pleasant surprise (although he probably would have finished where I thought he would if two of the other horses hadn't DNF'd).

Our third runner and the big surprise was Flaming Silk who battled Cause to Celebrate neck and neck all the way and won her Allowance by a Nose. She has been very consistent, finishing out of the money only once and this is her first win in our colors, to go with two wins for her previous owners.

Our last runner, and the one I thought had the best chance of winning was Hifly who was in a Dead Heat with Roses On Sunday and Spirited with one furlong to go, only to finish second to Roses On Sunday, beaten by 101 1/4 lengths.

Hopefully this is a sign that our horses are starting to come into their own now with 1 win, four seconds and 1 fourth out of our last eight runners.
Lewis
Mintano
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »

At World's End managed to get a good stalking position in a full NW1 Allowance field. Wasn't able to really get running but finished good enough. 3rd/14.

Baby Book ran well in an open allowance for three-year-old fillies. Stalked the leader and did her best to run the eventual winner down, coming within a nose of the lead with an eighth of a mile to go but she was outkicked. 2nd/8.

Be Kipper ran a very nice race against the boys in a NW2 on the turf. Stalked the leader throughout and ran him down at the finish beating the field soundly. 1st/7

Excess Heat ran a brilliant race in the GII Hutcheson Stakes, shedding his bridesmaid status he wired the field easily and earned a nice SF to boot. 1st/10. He'll go out next either in the Florida Derby or the Swale.
Nan
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 01:59:53 AM »

Various results today...

Caledonian won his second allowance today, and stablemate Don't Be Alarmed was 4th.

Big Spender was a dismal 8th in an NW3. Got to find some way to perk this guy back up again.

Cheatin' Heart had a rather inauspicious introduction to steeplechasing, placing 7th in an allowance. She's going to be retired this year, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Zoo Music Girl was 4th in an allowance.

Newly-claimed Silver Slew also placed 4th.

I'd like to think that the wet track had something to do with it all. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!! ;)
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 02:13:18 AM »

Only one out today, but it's good news (despite being tough to top last raceday!):

3YO Heroic Acts continues to be a consistant allowance pony, finishing 2nd/6 in his $55k Allowance.  He's got grit.  He was beaten only by SW Dr. Evil, who broke faster & held the lead despite Hero's efforts to catch him.  I'm very pleased with this fellow.   :)
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
Moochi
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 02:43:32 AM »

So, so, soooo confused... ???

Two out today--

Colors O'War placed a 7th in his Grade 2 Steeplechase Stakes for 3yo+. Sure, we haven't thrown him in a lot of stakes, and so he's not used to running against stakes horses, but COME ON. He flew out of the gate in 3rd place and DNF at the 10th furlong!!! What's going on, sir?!?  :-\

MusicboxDancer, who was becoming fairly consistent for a bit there in the past year, ALSO placed 7th in her 12f allowance on dirt for 4yo+. She also came out of the gate in 3rd place and then DNF at the 12th furlong! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

Perhaps they were TOO fresh? Did resting them make them too flippy and unstable? Were they too excited to get out, only to go ADHD and totally miss the point of the race--finishing it?! Or maybe I went too far in assuming they needed that much distance... They're telling me shorter is better? Or maybe they were just bested by all those newfangled fillies and colts?

Oi vey. We'll have to work this out...
Freedom
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Freedom Acres

They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »

Not bad, can't complain.  ;)

My little boy Wild Rebel ran out in his fourth race. We kicked up the distance a bit, sending him out in a 9f NW1 Allowance for 3yo. He did exceptionally well, placing fourth out of 14 other horses. Another one of his competitors was stablemate Kickstand Kelli. Kelli didn't do bad, but not good either, placing sixth in the same field. Not bad, boys.

Good old, reliable Unabridged hit the track again after a disappointing race. To try and put him back on track, we sent him in an 12.5f Allowance for 4yo+. It would have been an easy race had I picked a shorter distance. I'm not sure what I was thinking; maybe it was an experiment. Dispite the long race, he kept at the top, staying at first the whole race before falling back into second. This is still an improvement from the last race! We'll go back to stakes after this lovely performance, but we'll stick to a mile.
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 2/16 « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 2/16 - Theme by Mustang Forums