Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 22, 2021 6:54pm

Final Furlong Forum - 2/20

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 10:54:34 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 2/20
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2/20  (Read 722 times)
Mintano
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »

Soviet Nights has been such a consistent runner I decided to try her against the boys in the GI Fountain of Youth and she did not fare well. Looked like she had some traffic problems and just gave up. I'm going to put her back on the turf against her own gender next time out, probably the Bonnie Miss in early March.

Oops has not performed well in stakes company in previous starts he runs well in allowance company but he does well going longer on the turf and their haven't been many open allowances for him so I entered him in the Ungraded San Marino Handicap just to keep him fit. I wasn't expecting much also because the track was going to be wet and he either runs well on wet turf or terribly. Imagine my surprise when he ran a HUGE race to coming in 2nd/10 earning his first stakes placing. What a good boy!

In the same race his stablemate Townsend Secret one upped him by winning the race. After being winless in 19 starts last year this win is a huge one for this guy. He also earned millionare status today.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:11:29 PM by Mintano » Logged
rainee
Trainer

Stable Name: Rainee Thoroughbreds

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »

Weeeellllll it was an ok day here.

Please Hold redeemed himself with a 2nd place finish in his claiming race (guess he really wants to stay here lol),

Santiago Roja, one of my many leases came home 6th. a good rest and some training rehab for this lady. :)
Lilly of  Rainee Thoroughbreds
Located near the prestigious Saratoga.
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »

Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful day here.  YAY!!

We sent out 13....yes, 13. 

London is just a head scratcher.  My bet is she's just super unmature.  She's only 15.2, and her ped says she should top out at least 16hh.  She came in 11th in her maiden against the boys.

5 O'Clock Shadow continues to refuse to break her maiden, but came in a nice 2nd, nonetheless.  She's 17hh, so I don't think it's a question of her

Tricky Cat was an unsurprising 9th.  I'm debating on whether or not I should retire him or sell him cheap to a newbie that needs another runner.

Firmament ran a good race, just got the wrong jockey instructions and tried to run at the lead for 15.5 furlongs.  We'll take her back to slightly shorter distances and go from there.

Continental runs like an endurance horse, it seems.  We just need to find something longer than 9f.  4th out 10 in an open allowance against the boys...not bad.

Spirit of Love is really shaping up nice.  She's 2 for 2 this year and may be ready for some stakes.  She won her 6f allowance on the turf, and stable mate Snips and Snails came in a very nice 3rd.

Former-claimer Contemptable Dream came in a nice 2nd in her starter, but I think with some training, a jock that knows her, and the right equipment, she's going to be hard to beat.

One Star Affair took home a 5th in her NW1 allowance against the boys.  Not great, but not bad.

The best race of the day, of course, was The Rare Treat Handicap.  Old-dame Gotta Be A Natural wired it for the win, earning her NCh. status.  Off-again, on-again filly, Saturnalia came home 3rd.  Assault By Numbers couldn't handle it and came home 7th.

Long Live the King got his 4th stakes win, when he won The Tumball Stakes.  He's a Bold Ruler son, so we'd love to see him studified.  In the meantime, we'll just hope he runs his heart out. 

Very, very good day.

Lisa Perri
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »

Can't complain today at all

One out, one winner

Follisimo was our only horse out today in a NW2 allowance.  He showed his stuff by easily winning it by 44 1/4 lengths.  Wow boy easy does it.  He has had an impressive year so far.  In two starts he has got 2nd (by 3/4 lengths) and 1st.  His next outting will be on March 22 in an open allowance race at Gulfstream
Nan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »

Everyone was pretty universally awful today, with the exception of Exceptionalmiss, who managed to pull off a 4th in the ungr. Rare Treat Handicap.
Fleet Feet Thoroughbreds
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:41:55 PM »

Fleet Feet sent out two runners and had an awesome day  ;D

First out was Ch. Vertigo. He came in 1/13 in the G1 Fountain of Youth Stakes. He was running against some very tough competition and I would have been happy with anything on the board, so I was super thrilled that he won! I'm really excited for the rest of this boy's 3 year old campaign.

Second out today was Ch. Boston Wind in the Gr. 1 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap. I was skeptical about entering him in the race because he hasn't been the most consistent runner in the barn, but he really surprised us by coming in 1/10.

So we were two for two today and very happy!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:44:30 PM by Fleet Feet Thoroughbreds » Logged
Maviko
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:35 AM »

Estimated Prophet came home with a win today in her Starter Allowance. After a disappointing 8th in her first race with us we're glad to see our girls are starting to earn their feed :)
Supernovaa Thoroughbreds
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Supernovaa Thoroughbreds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:29:44 AM »

St. Paddy's Man came 3/13 in his first G1 start in the Fountain of Youth Stakes. Very pleased with this, hopefully his last two starts are foreshadowing the rest of this year!
ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:54:10 AM »

Crummy day for Ivy Creek (at least most brought home SOME form of paycheck):

First out was 3YO Swingshift.  This boy is a head-scratcher.  He's just finished a significant growth spurt, trains like a madman (I've never seen such a quick recovery period), and went into the race with an A/C energy/fitness (better than most of my runners).  To boot, the race was a simple $10k maiden...but nooo.  Heff decided to come home a lackluster 10th/14.  Hmph.  I should, however, give him credit - he moved from 11th to 5th at the 8f marker (in a dead heat with runners 1-10, apparently...what a wide field!), but couldn't compete with the closing speed in the final stretch, apparently.  We'll give him a go on dirt, then possibly switch him to SC.  Or maybe he wants a gelding.......*glares threateningly*

5YO Wonderful News came home 11th/11 (after two 4th place finishes with us) and will now be resold (complete with improved NE!)

Newly claimed 3YO Highland Treasure couldn't quite compete with the boys in her allowance, placing 5th/6.  We'll try to keep her in the sole company of the ladies from now on.

3YO Blueyesnlevis was, sadly, our best runner out today with a 4th/6.  Similar to Heff, she moved up to 2nd in a dead heat with runners 1-3 at the 8f pole, but dropped back in the final stretch.  -sigh-

6YO Trophy went out in a $50k claimer (*whew* I really didn't want him claimed...but didn't think he would at that price) with nothing exciting to report.  We chose it because he loves dirt endurance....but he was far outclassed and came home 5th/6.  Lesson learned.
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
skyclad
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:09 AM »

Meh...an okay day for us.

Say You Will went out first in a maiden, and apparently has decided the she is content with staying midpack, as she finished 5th.

Phone Lark was out next and brightened our day a lot when he came back with a win in his allowance. Remembering when I got him at auction as a two year old, he sure has come a long way. :)

Had two out in another allowance, leasee All Hail and one of my starters Electrifying. All Hail finished 5/6 after being midpack the entire race, and Electrifying did the same, only finishing 3/6. She'll have another race, and then she's probably off to be retired. :)
Moochi
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 06:58:25 PM »

Five out for our stable--probably the greatest amount of horses out at once that AA has ever had! :P Some good, some bad, and some ugly... But hey, at least somebody came home with bread!

Secret View, a.k.a. "Secret," was the first stallion AA has ever claimed, and the our first claimer received this year. He placed a 5th/10 in his second race with us--an Ungraded stakes, 10 furlongs on turf. While he's pretty to look at, and he's got terrific lines, it looks like he might be heading to the vet for some -cough- 'reductive surgery' -cough-... It's all depending upon his next few races (we'll give him a bit of time first).

Sanctuary, a.k.a. "Shorty," another claimer we got earlier this year and one who we're still trying to figure out, placed a 6th/14 in her 9 furlong Maiden on Turf. Eh... We'll get there...

Innit to Winnit, a.k.a. "Wish," one that I put the pedigree in for a while back and claimed earlier this year, placed a 6th/6 in her . Ouch. At least she's consistent?

BornAPrincess, a.k.a. "Suri," the first horse AA ever claimed, placed a nice 4th/10 in the 8 furlong Grade 2 Edward Manifold Stakes for 3yo F on Turf. Hot diggity dog. Not too shabby.

And we've saved the best outcome for last--Forsaken Art, a.k.a. "Artemis"/"Artsy Miss," another claimer for this year (and one whose name we will have SO much fun with when/if we ever get the chance to breed her) was 1st/6 horses in her 10 furlong NW3 on Turf. WOOHOO!

Not a bad day, I'd say. ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 2/20 « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 2/20 - Theme by Mustang Forums