Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 25, 2021 6:26am

Final Furlong Forum - 2 Year Olds!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 10:26:28 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: 2 Year Olds!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 Year Olds!!  (Read 488 times)
Fleet Feet Thoroughbreds
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »

Yay!!

Two year old races are starting. I always think this is the most exciting part of the year when you get to find out which of your ponies wanna run and which would rather walk outta the gate and eat some grass lol

So which babies is everyone most excited about? This is Fleet Feets biggest year with 17 two year olds who will all hopefully make it to the track (and I'm crossing my fingers at least a few of them have at least a teeny-eensy bit of talent ha!)

We have Onyx Bull who is out of the second to last crop of The Black. I have a special place in my heart for The Black since he sired my first stakes winner, Spellbound, and I'm thrilled to have one of his last babies. I really hope this boy does well and I shouldn't even say it, cause the chances are so slim, but it would be amazing if I could qualify him to stud (*crossing my fingers*).

We're also very excited about our A.P. Indy filly Sunset Strip We picked this girl up at auction, she's already nice and big standing 16.1 hands, and she's the first horse we've owned by A.P. Indy so very excited to see if she can do a little damage on the track ;)

The third horse I'm quite excited about is Leannan. We were lucky to pick up this very nicely bred filly in Andrea's liquidation auction. She is by Man O' War, who is my favorite horse of all time, so I'm super excited to own her. She's also out of his second to last crop so it was one of our last chances to get a young filly by him, can't wait to race her and then breed her down the line.

So what's everyone got??
conurexchick
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »

I'm very excited to finally have some 2 year olds to race myself, all  five of them boys though four of them aren't quite ready yet at only 14.1hh.  But I'm still excited!

The only non-created colt I have is Arnhem Land.  I picked this little boy up at an auction (not this previous 2 year old auction, the one at the end of last year) for a steal.  He's by Oscilliation out of Tarheel Sugar.  He's 15.3 hands high and once his energy is up, I'm ready to take the plunge.  His daddy had a good record, but because he is Oscilliation's first crop, I don't know what to expect.  Tarheel Sugar is an unraced mare, but many of her foals are decent runners so I remain positive :D
Shirozora
Owner

Stable Name: RC Bee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »

Juggling eight 2yos (not sure if that number's going to grow,  ::)) and am super excited for all of them. My oldest four are all at Woodbine, with two entered to run this Saturday and next Wednesday.

My two biggest sources of pride (not putting down my other 2yos, of course) are the Tiznow gelding Now's The Time and the Man O'War filly Lady Ironsides. Ironsides was my first (expensive) auction horse and since Man O'War's my first love I couldn't pass her up. Time is by my contemporary love Tiznow (huge congrats to Winstar, Eoin Harty, and Aaron Gryder for guiding Well Armed through all those trials and tribulations to Dubai World Cup glory!!!) and he's been training fantastically. I hope that means he'll become a winner for us!

The one with the best chance of becoming stud qualified is the lone colt Reservoir Democrat since one of his siblings is the stud Chivalry. Can he make it?

*cue dramatic music*
RC Bee Stables proudly stands: Eighteen Karat, What's It Worth (P)-Heart of Gold (S), by Mr. Prospector (S)
2020: $2,500 LFG || Breeders' Cup nominated
Mintano
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »

This year we have a big bunch of two-year-olds to send out, 23 to be exact. :o

We are excited about all of their future's but there are a few that we hope to be standouts in the crowd.

Card Shark we bought as a weanling for very cheap which surprised us considering his mother is Gold rated and his siblings are proving to be nice runners. Every one of his siblings of racing age are winners including multiple stakes and GII winner Ch. Cunningasafox, stakes winners Ch. Battleship, and Ch. Tricks and Games and GIII placed Olympic Glory. Most of his siblings weren't very precocious as 2yo's but seem to excel steeplechasing.

Goliath was in utero when we bought his mother. His sire is a real life stallion who's first foals are now 2yo's. His dam has recently attained the Gold ranking and her foals are runners. His half siblings included Breeder's Cup Sprint winners Rumor Has It and Street Wise, multiple GIII winner Ch. Via Crucis and multiple stakes placed Ch. Lingo. If anything I believe he will excel in dirt sprints.

Lonesome Man we bought as a yearling for a pretty big sum and have quite big hopes for considering we own his older brother (who won a GI as a 2yo) and also his yearling sister. His dam is Gold rated and has quite nice progeny. His siblings include GI winner Ch. Silent Miracle, multiple GII winner and millionare NCh. Gotta Be A Natural, multiple stakes placed Ch. Miracle in Black, and Ch. Miracle Giver and stakes placed Royal Secret. I'm expecting him to excel on the turf and possibly over fences.

Tizlater we got as a weanling for a decent amount of money. His sire is a real-life stallion whom I love and hope he will have success in FF. His dam is a Gold ranked mare and his siblings are quite successful and include GI winner and multi-millionare NCh. Silver Wizard, multiple GIII winner Ch. Wingsonmyhooves, stakes winner Ch. A.P Silver Stars and stakes placed Mountain Air and Run For Silver. We're not quite sure as of yet what surface he will prefer.

----

We've also had one of our 2yo's race on April 1st. Latino Mix ran in a NW3 on the dirt and ran very well. He broke cleanly from the gate and stalked the leader throughout but just couldn't catch him down the lane finishing 2nd/12.
Maviko
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:27 AM »

11 (!) in total. We really love to have a lot of 2YO on our string.

Darsumday, 15.0hh liver chestnut colt by Alydar out of Bertha's Bikini. I love his half brother and this is my first Alydar colt. He's had a nice workout so far and is right about the height he's projected to be. Running his first race at Woodbine on the 8th!

Lasting Magic, 14.3hh grey filly. Highland Magic daughter, my only Highland line racer.  Picked up for a song last year. She has a full sister who is racing nicely over fences. She's still on the small side and will be growing up a bit longer back at the farm.

Opportune Moment, another itty bitty filly at 14.0hh, liver chestnut. By Distinct Possibili which is a stallion I love and out of Little Rock (Who Says x Lady Godiva). She's always going to be a bit on the small side and her siblings haven't done a lot but I'm excited for when she finally grows enough to start out.

Street Cred, 15.1hh bay filly. She's got a hefty pedigree with Street Wise (Crossroads x Street Talk) and Native Dreams (Northern Slew x Dreams Never End) Further back she's looking at Seattle Slew, Northern Dancer and Native Dancer on her dam's side. All her maternal siblings have won on the track and all but two of her sire's offspring have won races, including one I own, Peachtree Street. She's probably has the oldest blood of all my horses so I'm excited for her first race on the 8th.

Such a Scandal, 15.0hh black gelding. Another very nicely bred guy. Rumor Has It (Planet Hollywood x Street Talk) out of Swimsuit Model (A.P. Indy x Bertha's Bikini). I love every single horse in this family tree. I have a Hollywood daughter I love, Street Talk whom I think is an awesome producer, A. P. Indy (what else can I say?) and Bertha's Bikini again. He's the second oldest son by his dam, his half brother not running too impressively. His half brother, also two, ran 2nd yesterday. He's had some AMAZING workout times. I'm very glad to have him.

Five created, so they're kind of crapshots in the dark right now. One of them, Dharma, is a little too small to run but Wild Oranges, HippieHippie Shake, Helmsgold, and Dwedle Dan will start lightly starting.

kayte56
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Diamond Dale Farm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:24 PM »

I'm still a newbie but I have my first 2 yr old that I am going to start racing myself.

Blind Ambition (Ambition X A.P Joy by Jump for Joy) is one of the first horses I had when I started and I had to wait with him as he was a yearling.  Hopefully it will be a worthy wait and he does well on the track.  I don't have many goal right now, just that he does well in his first race and decides that he wants to be a racehorse.  His first start is in a 5.5 furlong maiden at Woodbine, so we'll see how he does then work our way slowly from there.   One goal I have to say is to run in one or two of the baby stakes by the end of the year.
ThoroughbredLover
Groom

Stable Name: ThoroughbredLover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:25 AM »

I only have one 2 year old, a filly - Selective Memory.  She won her first 2 year old race.

;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: 2 Year Olds!! « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 2 Year Olds!! - Theme by Mustang Forums