Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Oct. 19, 2021 3:19am

Final Furlong Forum - How Did You Do 2014

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:19:26 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Mixed Auction  |  Topic: How Did You Do 2014
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Did You Do 2014  (Read 2930 times)
CloverSprings
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »

Hello everyone!

I was only after one broodmare in particular to add some more Cigar bloodlines to the breeding barn.  I did pay the $100k max for Celebration [Cigar (S) x Silver Skies (S)], but she is a stakes winning mare and her dam did produce a second stakes winner.

How did everyone else do?
RCorona
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »

Hi there,
Godolphin was after only GCh Fanfare and thankfully managed to bring her home... She will be bred to the best stud available next year...I just can't make up my mind between Point Given, Worth My While, A P Indy and Highland Wizard...Anybody willing to help????
Unfortunately I am in love with ICh Spock but he wont be available to her next year!!!! :'(
kayte56
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Diamond Dale Farm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

RCorona,
I had briefly givne Fanfare consideration- she's an amazing mare- but knew she was well out of my price range. I would suggest maybe Worth My While? looked at her pedigree and that would make an interesting cross....

--Kayte
Diamond Dale Farm
ballydoyle2010
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »

thank you Kayte
RCorona
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »

sorry...Palmerio (Ballydoyle) left his FF account logged in and I replied using ballydoyle's stables account...Thanks anyway Kayte!!! I hink you are right!!!!
RC
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »

I wasn't planning on bidding, but I've loved Fanfare's name since she was born, so I couldn't resist. ;) Congrats to Godolphin for getting her, though, the last thing I need in my barn is another mare related to Rogue or Worth, let alone both!

Of the studs you mentioned, I'd go with A.P. Indy, or possibly Point Given. You could breed her to a Rogue/Worth relative, but personally I'd cross her with something different, those 2 studs pack a big enough punch as it is without adding inbreeding to the mix.
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »

The Worth/Rogue in-breeding is easy to do by mistake, so be careful! 

On a semi-related note: Is 3x3 inbreeding/line breeding all that bad? (Highland Laird son to a Highland Pride mare).  Should I be happy if the foal just has four legs and a tail?  Or am I mostly safe?
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Gintara Lodge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:23 AM »

I managed to only bring one home Luna Rossa

She is from the gold rated mare Italy who's only two foals to race prior are multi stakes winners so fingers crossed for my girl.

I thought I might have got her for under the $100k but when I bid it went straight to the $100k which seemed strange  ??? so I'll just have to be happy with my one little girl  ;D

It's funny the difference we all look for, I had a list of 5 in order, then another 5 if I could secure them cheap, my 2nd (sold $11.5k) 3rd pick (still only $3k) 4th (currently $20k) and 5th pick (sold $4k)

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:38:07 AM »

On a semi-related note: Is 3x3 inbreeding/line breeding all that bad? (Highland Laird son to a Highland Pride mare).  Should I be happy if the foal just has four legs and a tail?  Or am I mostly safe?

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I don't think it's too bad. The main "hits" you take are in soundness (which will only go so low anyway, there is a baseline so that your foal is assured to at least be able to walk and not be crippled) and then similarity to whoever's being inbred (which could be a good thing, could not, whatever stats Rogue/Worth have that suck will be extra-suck in an inbred foal, but the same potentially goes for the stats that don't suck).
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »

I thought I might have got her for under the $100k but when I bid it went straight to the $100k which seemed strange  ??? so I'll just have to be happy with my one little girl  ;D

That would be a bug.
pureblarney
Jockey

Stable Name: Mayfair

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:42 AM »

I think this auction will go down in Mayfair history as 'Project Mare.'  ;D

Since we managed to double the number of mares at the barn (from four to eight), I guess I'll let the girls go first.

Legendary Bird is a half-sister to our own Northern Coalminer out of Free Bird. I've been really impressed with Coalminer's racing ability so far, so I jumped at the chance to buy a sibling by the same mom. Hopefully they'll have something in common.  :)

Second was an as-yet unnamed filly by WCh. Strider out of Ch. Worth Her Oats. She's still very little, but we have high hopes for her.

Next was a created mare who's been raced very thinly but with impressive FF's. I love her name, too. Honey Spun

Last of the girls but certainly not least was another baby by ICh. Alley Cat out of Swan's Hope.

For the boys, first we have veteran Ch. Turn 'n Dash. He placed third in a 3yo+ Gr. 2 Stakes race on Saturday... as a five year old! He was only $1000 (and the only one of our wins to have already paid himself off  ;)). When he finally runs out of gas, whether that be sooner or later, he'll have a welcome home at our retirement barn.

Next was another thinly raced horse with solid prospects (and funny name to boot). Horror Flick

The other $1000 horse (would that they all stayed so cheap!) was another proven Allowance gelding named Manhattan Project.

Oof! It's been a long weekend where FF is concerned, but I'm excited to get all my new ponies to the track! Good luck to those of you guys who are still out there.  :)
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Gintara Lodge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »

That would be a bug.

Shanthi - I did post it as a bug but though you may have deleted it as when I went back to check it was gone, that or didn't list it correctly  :-[
Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity!
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »

Nope, never got an e-mail about a new bug. I would've closed it, anyway, not deleted it, if it wasn't appropriate.
Mesa
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

I didn't get the broodmare I wanted but I managed to take home 5 nice horses for $2000 each.

Sun Whisper - (Created Lines) Unraced broodmare. Has 2 foals and the only foal on the track is unraced.

Only For A Moment - (Created Lines) She really made up for not getting the mare I wanted and I'm glad to have her. Has 2 foals and her only racing foal is a winner.

Cat Has Flair - (ICh.Alley Cat X Classic Flair) Previously Unnamed weanling filly. I mostly bought her because her name popped in my head and I thought it would be cute.  ;D

Chance of Rumors - (Ch. Rumor Has It X No Second Chance) Previously Unnamed yearling colt. Is No Second Chance's first foal. Hope he will do well once he is older.

And my most shocking purchase..

Depths of Hell - (NCh. Devil May Care X Cigar's Gold). I can't believe I actually own a Devil May Care foal. Every auction I have been to his foals seem to go for a ton of money and I'm glad to add him to my barn.
kayte56
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Diamond Dale Farm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »

Well besides successfully selling the 2 horses I had entered in the auction, I left with 4 new aquisitions for Diamond Dale- 2 broodies, 2 yearlings and a 3 yr old.  I am happy :)

Already mentioned Classic Julie in an earlier post in Breeding.  She is my I'm a Classic mare.  I purchased her since i have a mare already in foal to that stallion, wanted to see what crosses I could do with her and see the kind of foals she would produce. She is silver ranked right now, which impressed me, so I think she is a good addition the band.

Showtunes is an unraced 3 yr old cold by Giant's Causeway.  I like that he had yet to be raced, so I'm starting from scratch with him and I can figure him out for myself.  Going to see so how those Giant Causeway's hold up on the track :)

also got a Giant Causeway yearling colt by Fortunate Color that I have yet to name.  Again, want to see how GC's hold up.

My last addition is a filly by Turn n Burn.  Again, I want to see how she does on the track and, like all my filly purchases, she will be a broodie after she is finished racing (tho dependant on how well she does on the track)

--Kayte
Diamond Dale Farm
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Mixed Auction  |  Topic: How Did You Do 2014 « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, How Did You Do 2014 - Theme by Mustang Forums