Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Oct. 22, 2021 9:49am

Final Furlong Forum - How'd You Do? [2014 Edition]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:49:04 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Foal Auction  |  Topic: How'd You Do? [2014 Edition]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How'd You Do? [2014 Edition]  (Read 6175 times)
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

Stable Name: Gintara Lodge

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »

Had 3 in mind, one I really want but missed out in the ballot  :'( actually forgot and missed the other two which went relatively cheap  ::) doh!

Still can home with 4 as I could resist  ::) all colts

Caliburn    2013    ICh. Alley Cat x GCh. Avalon
Corkscrew    2014    A.P. Indy x Entwining Spring
Scattered Mercury    2014    ICh. Dark Continent x Liquid Gold
Ariakas    2013    NCh. Highland Wizard x Ch. Pointed Remark

2 yearlings & 2 weanlings
Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity!
SunStar
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »

Went to the auction only looking to pick up 1 or 2 horses and ended up coming home with 5 weanling fillies.

Glamorous Gossip out of Rumor Has It x Sudden Appearance. This is the broodmares first foal but her siblings from Rumor Has It includes stakes placed.

Paris Lights out of created lines. Not sure what drew me into her but looking forward to seeing what she can do.

Robyn Hood out of Street Wise x Prosperous Cheater. I liked her pedigree and had her name written down for reserves and her lines just fit! Bought her with broodmare in mind (Little far to be thinking I know) if she doesn't make it on the track.

Scarlet Fever out of Dark Continent x Cherry Flavoured. I have a soft spot for Dark Continent. Her 1/2 sibling Cough Syrup has done really well on the track winning 6/9 starts. Hoping maybe this little gal will share some characteristics. With all said and done I had my eye on her and was happy to see her arrive in my stable!!

The Magic of Love out of Highland Magic x PS I Love You (Gone Haywire). I had my eye on this filly before the auction started and was bound and determined to have her!! I love her lines as I have been dying to get my hands on a Highland Magic foal (& a filly to boot!). Her 1/2 siblings are doing well and Im super excited to see what this little lady will bring!

All in all not bad. Im very happy with my selection and stayed under $65,000  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:32:23 PM by SunStar » Logged
Rocket
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »

I went to the auction just to look around (we all know how that goes) and came home with 2 yearlings spending over $30,000 for each.  ::)

Malizia out of Alley Cat x American Graffiti (Killing Time). I have always been an Alley Cat fan with Alydar, Highland Rouge & Native Dancer in his lines so when I saw her I had to snag her. Malizia is Italian for mischief.

Majestic Design out of A.P Indy x Gone Majestic. Her lines also drew me in with Seattle Slew and Secretariat on her sire's side and Mr. Prospector on her dam's.
hollyh1125
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Of course we purchased a few beautiful foals.  I swear these auctions are too good to pass up most of the time. :)

So far we have 2 fillies:

Swing Jazz (Jazz It Up X A Splash Of Color) -
 After Jazz It Up's retirement we have really been wanting a few of his babies especially fillies.  We were fortunate enough to snag this cute little girl who is out of A Splash Of Color (A broodmare associated with the Nation's Pride lines as well as Seabiscuit to boot!).  Since her first foal was a winner we thought she was probably worth the gamble especially with these lines. :)

Previously Unnamed - Hope's Causeway (Giant's Causeway X Hope's Crossing)
Well we lost a Giant's Causeway filly a year or so ago and thought this little girl would make a nice replacement.  Hope's Crossing is half sister to one of our favorite broody's Hollywood Hopes and feel this dam line is tried and true.  We are super excited to have this filly.

**On a side note I was excited to see a bit of a fight for the Nightfight colt, Set If Off.  We wanted to make sure he got a decent start on the track, but are please to see him starting his training under Railbird Racing silks. Congrats!

After reading all the commotion about last minute bidding I feel bad about bidding on the last horse with 4 min left but I swear I just logged in to check and was excited to see he hadn't sold yet. I don't get a chance to get on the internet 24/7 and I lost a couple of my other "potentials" because I wasn't around to bid.  Sometimes it just happens that way...
Jules
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »

Well, being new and all I wanted to just get some nice yearlings for my that I could have running sometime in the coming year. I did some research on a couple foals and put them down as favorites and then looked at last years auction to try an gauge how much they would cost me. As I found out as the auction went on I was a bit off, but luckily came home with two foals.

Although I told myself I didn't need any weanlings I still ended up getting one. Sins Yet Unfound is from the first crop of Devil His Due and the first foal for her dam Pot of Gold. It should be interesting to sees how she does on the track with both parents new to the breeding shed but I've still got a while till that happens.

The other foal I came away with was one of my 'must haves'. Dark Seduction is from Dark Continent's first foal crop and out of the silver ranked mare Romance Me. Romance Me's foals are all winners, which includes the multiple stakes winning mare Not Another Mare. I'm quite excited to see how he'll do when he hits the track  :)
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »

Now we're just about finished, is it time to think how this auction is run?

The change that was made mid auction about the clock not re-setting if a new maximum bid isn't established was a great one but maybe the time before sold could be extended to 18 or 24 hours as we are all in different parts of the world and time zones.

I also think the spending limit should be scrapped, a number of the foals in the auction could have achieved far more than the $100k limit, this would help reduce some of the $$$ in the game that the leading stables have and create more realism.

If there needs to be any limits, maybe limit the number of horses able to be purchased, that way there will be a spread of horses purchased across all stables and budgets.

spudly
Jockey

Stable Name: Lochiedo Stables

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »

I think the reason there is a spending limit is so that the newer stables or those who don't have the same sort of funds as the bigger stables have an equal chance of picking up a nice horse. The select auction does not have a limit, so the oportunity is there for the wealthier stables to spend big if they feel they need to. I think having a spending limit evens the playing field a bit.
Steve
Lochiedo Stables
"We are on the rise"

Standing at stud
Beau Esprit
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »

I think the reason there is a spending limit is so that the newer stables or those who don't have the same sort of funds as the bigger stables have an equal chance of picking up a nice horse. The select auction does not have a limit, so the oportunity is there for the wealthier stables to spend big if they feel they need to. I think having a spending limit evens the playing field a bit.

This is correct.

The 2yo, mixed, and foal auctions also generally have a limit on the number of horses you can buy, but this year was rather crazy and I forgot to add that flag in.
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 01:01:12 AM »

If you want to see what happens when you take off spending limits, check out the Select Auction. 
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

I understand why it's in place, doesn't mean it has to always be like that.

It seems no one has bothered to read or consider the reason I suggested it?
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »

We did, Andy, and responded to you. There is a FF-sponsored auction with no spending limits, and usually there are limits on the other auctions for the number of horses you can buy.

You're welcome to create your own auctions with no spending limit, but FF auctions' goals are to sell a bunch of horses (to all members, not just the richest in the game), and set things up so that all members who want a horse can buy at least one.
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »

I agree that perhaps some horses sell for less than they might if they were auctioned off without any maximum bid or spending limit. However, you could also look at it that you're getting a (potentially)  very good horse for a bargain price.
Personally I would rather keep the spending limit on the auctions that have them as that way it gives every stable a change to get a horse that might win them lots of money which they can have lots of fun sending in the select or private auctions.
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
hollyh1125
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

I agree that perhaps some horses sell for less than they might if they were auctioned off without any maximum bid or spending limit. However, you could also look at it that you're getting a (potentially)  very good horse for a bargain price.

I completely agree.  FF isn't out to see how much money it can make on horses or make sure they go for "market value".  The whole point of the limited auctions is to make sure the newer stables CAN afford the better horses in the auctions.  This avoids outrageous bidding wars that stables with less money would be forced out of.

So basically, Andy, yes your point is legitimate in that the horses are not reaching their max potential, BUT, it is not a point that is prioritized in the limited auctions.  I do, however, like the suggestion to increase the auction end time to 24 hours.
Andy
Beta Testers
Exercise Rider

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »

I completely agree.  FF isn't out to see how much money it can make on horses or make sure they go for "market value".  The whole point of the limited auctions is to make sure the newer stables CAN afford the better horses in the auctions.  This avoids outrageous bidding wars that stables with less money would be forced out of.

So basically, Andy, yes your point is legitimate in that the horses are not reaching their max potential, BUT, it is not a point that is prioritized in the limited auctions.  I do, however, like the suggestion to increase the auction end time to 24 hours.

Not about how much FF can make, was a suggestion to aid in removing some of the money from the game  ;)

We did, Andy, and responded to you. There is a FF-sponsored auction with no spending limits, and usually there are limits on the other auctions for the number of horses you can buy.

You're welcome to create your own auctions with no spending limit, but FF auctions' goals are to sell a bunch of horses (to all members, not just the richest in the game), and set things up so that all members who want a horse can buy at least one.

Of course everyone responded, but all they did was trot out what is in place now .... which we all know and why  ::)

This point was the point of my post .......

I also think the spending limit should be scrapped, a number of the foals in the auction could have achieved far more than the $100k limit, this would help reduce some of the $$$ in the game that the leading stables have and create more realism.

I would have though that can only be a good thing?
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

But if you think about real life then It's usually the case that some owners have much more buying power than others, in that way in my opinion the game is very realistic. Just think of some of the bidding wars Coolmore and Darley have had over the years. It doesn't really make much of a dent in their overall finances and the way the game is at the moment I think it reflects that.   
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Auctions  |  Annual Foal Auction  |  Topic: How'd You Do? [2014 Edition] « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, How'd You Do? [2014 Edition] - Theme by Mustang Forums