Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 24, 2021 10:51pm

Final Furlong Forum - 1/1

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 02:51:16 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 1/1
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1/1  (Read 396 times)
XxRebelliousLoverxX
1/1
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »

We only had one out on New Year's day, but she started us off with a bang!

Mission Of Love started us off well with a win in the Appleton Handicap against a mixed field. This filly continues to astound me with her impeccable record thus far and I know she can keep it up. Oh how I love me my Romeo horses! ;)

So, how did everyone else do on Day 1 of 2015?
Shelbie
Race Winner

Stable Name: Black Storm West

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »

We sent out nearly half our racing team and hit BIG! From 10 runners, seven finished in the top three...including a stakes race!

Word Association finished 3rd in her 3yo debut.  We were excited to get her into a race longer than 6F, and 8F against 3yo+ fillies proved to be a good gamble.

Abdiction scored in a 7F NW2 SC. We had just purchased him on the 21st from Renegade Racing and he just made back his sales price!

Polaris continues to be a puzzle. He was dead last throughout the race, then briefly took the lead, before stopping and finished last of 8. We're thinking a long distance maiden or NW1 for him next time out.

Our old, gutsy gelding I'm a Spook flashed his old form by winning an 11F SC Allowance for 3yo+. His stablemates Roi d'Argent finished 2nd, and Orkenstorm was 5th of 14. Maybe Memories, a lease of ours who will be heading back to his home next week, finished 10th.

Another recent purchase, Sailor Hat, finished 3rd in a 6F turf Allowance against 9 others. Still a long way to make back his purchase price, but I can't be disappointed :D

Now here's a girl we're getting super excited about. Since actually taking the time to work our horses, Luv a Drama finished 3rd twice in a row as her last starts at 2. As a 3yo, we decided to throw some distance at her and she came back a winner by 4-1/2 lengths! She's from Alydar's last crop and a half-sister to SP Lady Firelight.

And what better way to wrap up the day than with a stakes place?! We always thought Tempting Magic could be stakes-quality, and he finally proved us right by finishing 2nd in the 5.5F El Conejo Handicap (UNG). Next time we'll probably try him at a longer distance - he seemed to get better as the race went on.
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
Standing NCH. French Ruby & NCh. Yes It's Paddy
Grace
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »

I had an unexpectedly outstanding first race day of 2011. We sent out Silver Cross, a four year old purchased from Renegade Racing, who had yet to win a race in his twenty starts. I put him in an 8.5f dirt allowance for 3yo+ just to see how he fared, and was ecstatic to see that he came home a very surprising first in a tough field of eight. Very pleased with him - he's getting extra carrots tonight!

I also claimed Next Chance, an unraced created mare who came home third in her claiming race. She's a bit of a gamble but I'm hoping she'll be a nice, solid runner - I'd been wanting to add another mare to my racing string without breaking the bank, so she fit the bill.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how today went for my little crew :D
Mintano
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:44:38 AM »

We had one of our better days in a VERY long time. A few continued with the trend of mediocrity but others helped make up for it!

Charlotte ran evenly throughout in a Maiden for fillies and mares. Finished 6th/10.

Day of Wonder and his stablemate Delaware Bound both ran mid-pack throughout in a steeplechase open allowance. They finished 7th/14 and 8th/14.

We had thought about selling DontCallMeSue but decided to keep trying with him seeing as he's from the last foal crop of Chef-de-Race sire Secretariat. Today he paid our patience back by breaking his maiden in a 6 furlon turf non-winners of one for 3yo's. We'll have to see if he can improve from here or if he'll be like most of our other maiden breakers and have no idea how to win another race!

We claimed Laird's Diamond from a $10k Claimer for fillies. She broke her maiden today, hopefully she'll go on to do some nice running. Her mother is only Bronze rated but is a 1/2 sister to NCh. Orion's Bell, ICh. Crown Jewels and WCh. Crystal Rainbow. So this filly has not only bein sired by Laird on her side but she's got back class in her pedigree, hope it comes out in her!

Mi Casa had a busy day to say the least, he somehow ran in 2 different races, I think maybe I entered him in a different race than I had originally done when the entries disappeared so he ran twice today. Eeek! Poor boy! He ran great the first time, finishing 2nd/8, needless to say he must have been exhausted by the time he ran again he finished 7th/7. Going to report this as a bug though this one might have been my own fault, glad to see he came out of it okay though!

Romantic Memory ran well in her 2015 debut, a Turf maiden for fillies and mares. She settled in a stalking position and made a pretty good run, finishing 3rd/8.

Take Me To Alaska ran well in her debut for the year, finishing 2nd/6 in a NW3 for fillies and mares over fences.

Unruly Laird didn't run so well, finishing 6th/7 in a turf allowance.

Soft Whispers finished the day on a great note with a win for her debut as a 6yo. I'm up in the air about retiring her, we'll keep her going seeing as she's happy and healthy and still a running machine apparently! If she starts to tail off she'll get a much deserved retirement. Still have to decide who will be her first date though if she keeps running like this we won't have to decide for awhile.

Mesa
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »

Sent out 3 horses in their debut in their first stakes races not expecting too much. Decent day overall.

Meribor ran 8th in the 10.0f Ungr. Ruthless Stakes for 4yo+ F.

Piattola came 6th in the 8.0f Gr. 3 Appleton Handicap for 3yo. Not a bad start for her 3yo career and considering she seems to only wanna perform on wet/slow surfaces.

Hirogen managed a 2nd in the 10.0f Ungr. Spectacular Bid Stakes for 4yo+. Since it's his fourth start in SC (the other three starts are wins), I'm really pleased.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:59:15 AM »

Calanais  broke her maiden today, making us happy. She's the last Cross Roads baby we have, so here's hoping she makes her way back to the winner's circle.

Inner Light was 7th in the same race. Obviously some tweaking needed there.

Kilkenny Red broke his maiden in a NW2. Last foal from Wine n'Roses, so we'd love to see him studified at some point.

Leverage finished 3rd in the same race. Two 3rds in 4 starts as his best finishes
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »

On paper not a good day really but having had a look through the running lines etc the ponies didn't do too badly. Sent out four and claimed one (so much for not hoarding this year   ;) )

Clannish made her 2nd start for us having joined us at the end of last year and took up a big step up in trip in a 14f NW2 on dirt. She ran pretty well, pushing up to 2nd for quite a way before tiring towards then end. Probably a shorter distance for her next time.

Touch Of Midas also manged to get up to 2nd place in his claimer before being swamped on the line and finishing 5th. We might put him away for a while now and give him a break.

Baringa finished a close up 5th in the Appleton Handicap. He also hit 2nd just before the end so I think the ponies have some kind of plan going on between them  :P Really pleased with him though as he's been off since July as I didn't want to overdo things with him and two of his half brothers were still winning at the backend of last year (4yo and 5yo) so hopefully if I look after him he could have a reasonably long career ahead of him.

Finally, claimed Juxtaposed an unplaced 4yo who finished 4th in her claimer. So far she's managed 5 4th places out of 7 starts but I'm not too worried as she's a half-sister by Cigar to Sneak Peek, Doublecross, Catchmeifyoucan and Rodeo so should make a lovely broodmare. Also her siblings generally seem to have improved with age so fingers crossed she'll do the same  ;)
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  How'd You Do?  |  Topic: 1/1 « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 1/1 - Theme by Mustang Forums