Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 19, 2021 9:13am

Final Furlong Forum - Stud Booking Fee

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 01:13:45 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Comments and Suggestions  |  Topic: Stud Booking Fee
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stud Booking Fee  (Read 2376 times)
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

I still think something needs to be implemented in the case of the person who basically gets away with a discount and then at the last second without notification cancels the last breeding and makes the stallion owner lose out for being nice. I will be changing my policies for next year as far as discounts go.
I was for the reservation fee, and now I'm even getting confused.I only ever canceled one and that was to one of drews studs during the sale,and bred to my own as I was getting short on cash, and at that time there wasn't an owner to notify.
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

Again, personally, I think if a slot is not filled, oh well, it happens. Chances are you still filled most of the other slots, but I may be in the minority here.

That's my standpoint as well, personally. I'm more interested in having nice foals than making money, though, nor am I that worried if FF mares use my studs' spots because they don't get used (for whatever reason).

That said, I'm happy to brainstorm if people want to consider the option. Whether and when it gets implemented is another story. ;)
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »

I still think something needs to be implemented in the case of the person who basically gets away with a discount and then at the last second without notification cancels the last breeding and makes the stallion owner lose out for being nice. I will be changing my policies for next year as far as discounts go.

If your concern is regarding discounts, I hope to set something up so that it's more automated with the rewrite. i.e. if you want to offer a multi-mare discount, the first booking would be full price, but the second would reflect the full discount. (So your stud's fee is $10,000 and you want 25% off for multiple mares. First booking: $10,000. Second booking: $5,000. Total is 25% off $20,000, but they only get the discount when they book in that second mare. If they never book the second mare, they never get the discount. If they book in a third mare, it's $7,500, because 75% of $30k is $22.5k and they've already paid $15k. Etc.)

New member discounts and mare quality discounts would be even easier, because that can be done on the first booking. (Any other types of discounts offered?)
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »

That sounds like a good set up, of course my horses are much cheaper than that. Lol . As far as the booking fee, I would rather have those spots filled with FF mares for no money to get some foals on the ground, than worry about refunds.also sometimes my bank account gets low and I pinch pennies, I'm sure some of the newer stables might be discouraged if we did have the fee. So I could go either way now after reading through it all again.
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Mintano
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »

Haven't really read through all the replies so don't know if this has been suggested but what about an alert for mare owners say a week before the booking date expires? I know I have accidentally missed bookings because I plain old forgot about them. It wouldn't stop booking dates from getting not used altogether but I think it would be a great help.
hollyh1125
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »

Shanthi,
One option would be to give various conditions for refunding deposits...maybe:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:38:47 PM by hollyh1125 » Logged
Mintano
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »

Mintano,
I agree, but I'm confused when you say you forget about your bookings.  Usually if you reserve a spot to a stud the stud owner takes time out to go into their stud page and reserve the spot making the booking visible on your mare page when you go to breed her.  In that case I don't feel bad about taking a booking fee because I feel if I take time out to make sure a mare has a booking the mare owner should retain the same courteousness (sorry if that's not a word...lol).

Sorry I sort of exagerated there, there's only 1 time I can remember that I've actually forgotten a booking which was one of your guys for a mare that had yet to be retired. I'd meant to retire her and breed her to that stallion but for whatever reason I forgot I'd made the booking and the time had passed. Yes it was my fault I should have made a note which I do all the time but for whatever reason forgot to do at that time. I have come close a few times though with missing bookings with mares that didn't foal out before a certain date.

I just think it would help cut down on a lot of missed bookings if you got an alert. "Mare has a booking to stallion that expires in 2 weeks". Especially if you book a mare that is still going to race a little bit more before retiring there is no Breed link on her page until she's been retired so unless you make a note there's no way for you to check that she's got a booking.
hollyh1125
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »

I just think it would help cut down on a lot of missed bookings if you got an alert. "Mare has a booking to stallion that expires in 2 weeks". Especially if you book a mare that is still going to race a little bit more before retiring there is no Breed link on her page until she's been retired so unless you make a note there's no way for you to check that she's got a booking.
We do have alerts for mares who are not bred that show up on our stable page.  Also, when you have a stallion booking reserved to your stable in general that booking shows up on every mares breeding page as an option as long as the booking time hasn't yet past.  If I were to go breed a mare and saw I had a general booking to say, "Spock". I would know that I had reserved that spot and go make sure which mare it was for if I couldn't use it for the one I was currently breeding. Not that any of this matters since you feel a booking fee would "help", but just wanted to go into detail there a bit in case those alerts were getting over looked.  I never know how a certain page loads on different computers so I never know if some things are visible to everyone. 
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

I'm leaning towards making this optional (similar to requiring approval for your stud). If you think booking fees are great and want to add one as part of your stud fee (not sure if the % would be customisable, but 25% sounds reasonable), great. If you don't care, that's cool, too. Likewise for mare owners - if you don't want to worry about getting refunds and whatnot, don't patronise studs that use booking fees.
hollyh1125
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »

I think that sounds fair. :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Comments and Suggestions  |  Topic: Stud Booking Fee « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Stud Booking Fee - Theme by Mustang Forums