Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 21, 2021 10:56pm

Final Furlong Forum - 2016 Hello Starling Farm Foals

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:56:43 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  Foaling Barn  |  Topic: 2016 Hello Starling Farm Foals
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Hello Starling Farm Foals  (Read 2276 times)
Grace
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »

Our first foal of 2016 was safely delivered last night!

Catalina
ICh. Gilded Saint x Ch. Kilburn Kate
9.3h dark bay (LF ermine, RH ermine, LH sock) filly

Born right on time! This big filly is in Gilded Saint's first crop, and she is the first foal out of her MSP dam, so I am very pleased that both dam and foal are happy and healthy. Out of a maiden mare and by an unproven stallion, I don't really know what to expect from her when she hits the track, but I am hoping that Catalina will mature to be a strong steeplechaser, as both her sire and dam excelled over fences.

0 colts - 1 filly - 9 remaining
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:34:42 PM by Grace » Logged
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »

Congrats on a cute and healthy foal! :)
hollyh1125
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

Yeah, and a filly to boot! :) Congrats.
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Iron Spur Stables

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »

So as far as I've seen this filly is 1 of 2 his first two babies on the ground same day and both fillies ( sheldrake has the other) and Congrats!
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Shadowfax
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

Lovely, lovely name.
Grace
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:35:14 AM »

Our next little girl showed up at tonight. It claims she is "unborn", but the notification popped up and she's showing up as Genie's "Last Foal", so I'm guessing the delivery is still going on ;)

In Your Dreams
ICh. Almost Precious (Almost Home (S) x Precious Belle (S)) x Dream of Genie (Ch. Magic Cross (S) x Regal Spirit (B))
8.3h bay (Star, Snip, LF Sock) filly

This girl has the sweetest face. She is Genie's second foal, and she is one of the first foals in Almost Precious's first crop. I have another wild card here, but I'm hopeful she'll shape up to be a nice, solid runner.

The name may not stick - we'll see.

0 colts - 2 fillies - 8 remaining

No one is due until March now, so things will be pretty quiet around here for the next few weeks.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »

Cute name! :) I'm surprised no one had used it already.
Shadowfax
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »

like the name, and she is so cute
Grace
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »

Thanks! I just realized she's also the first foal I bred - the rest of mine have all been from mares I've purchased in foal - so that's fun, too. :)

I was surprised, too, Shanthi.
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »

Yeah thats a pretty common saying it is amazing it wasn't taken, it suits.
WHEN GOD CREATED THE HORSE,HE SPOKE TO THE MAGNIFICENT CREATURE: I HAVE MADE THEE WITHOUT EQUAL, ALL THE TREASURE OF THIS EARTH LIE BETWEEN THY EYES.

Home of,Ch. Set It OffNew in the Studbarn-guest stallion-NCh.Irish Gold,our studs- ICH.Gilded Saint, NCH.Golden Text, NCh. Black Light II
Shadowfax
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

A lot of apparently obvious names are being used this year  :D Great though. Good luck with her, I guess she'll always have place in your heart
Grace
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »

I got a leap year baby! :D

Darkling
ICh. Candidate (G) (What's It Worth (G) x Dark Magic (G)) x Blues Baby (GCh. My Lucky Day (S) x Rhythm n' Blues (S))
8.3h grey (LH sock) filly

Blues Baby is a leased maiden mare from Black Storm West. She foaled a few days early, but both mom and baby are happy and healthy. The small grey filly's name was taken from Thomas Hardy's poem, "The Darkling Thrush". I've wanted to find some way to use that name ever since I first read the poem, and I think it suits her nicely.

Blues Baby will go home to Black Storm West after weaning.

0 colts - 3 fillies - 7 remaining
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:46:12 AM »

Very cute name. =)
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:15:08 AM »

Nice one

Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:08 AM »

Cute name. :)
Shadowfax
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »

I love that poem, and the name suits her. Good luck with her
Grace
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »

We had a busy night, but we have two lovely new foals and proud broodmares to show for it.

La Corriveau
ICH. Devil His Due (GCh. Go For Dash (S) x Ch. Devil's Own (S)) x Morning Deelites (created)
8.3h dark grey (star, stripe, LF coronet, LH sock, RH coronet) filly

Morning Deelites, a created broodmare leased from Ivy Creek Farm, foaled this big, healthy filly by Devil His Due. Devil His Due's first foals to race hit the track next month, so I'll be excited to see what they do! "La Corriveau" is a Canadian ghost story about a beautiful, ruthless women who killed her two husbands and was sentenced to death. After her death, her spirit supposedly haunted a river road until finally being exorcised.

Lion Rampant
NCh. Slew O'Scots (S) (Seattle Slew (S) x WCh. Highland Raven (G)) x Still A Princess (What's It Worth (G) x Dark Princess (B))
8.1h black (star) colt

Our maiden mare, Still A Princess, birthed our first colt of the year last night. The jet black foal is our smallest newborn so far, but he is doing great, and Princess is a wonderful mother who is totally smitten with him. Slew O' Scots has shown himself to be an awesome sire, and we hope the cross with our What's It Worth mare will be a successful one. Lion Rampant, or Leo, is 3/4 to Ch. Outlander and two-year-old Party Doll. The Lion Rampant of Scotland is the Scottish Royal Banner of Arms, used historically by the King of Scots.

1 colt - 4 fillies - 5 remaining
Shelbie
Race Winner

Stable Name: Black Storm West

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »

Love the names! Keep a lock on La Corriveau ;)
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
Standing NCH. French Ruby & NCh. Yes It's Paddy
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

Love the names, especially Lion Rampant. :)
Shadowfax
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

Love them and their names, both fun and fitting
Grace
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »

Yay, another colt!

Grimoire
NCh. Silver Wizard (NCh. Highland Wizard (G) x Silver Wind (S)) x Uptown Girl (S) (Created)
9.2h black (LH sock, RH stocking) colt

Uptown Girl, a lease from Ivy Creek Farm, safely delivered this big black colt. Her oldest foal is Ch. Goodnight Saigon, a stakes winning three-year-old, and even though Uptown Girl only started racing in her four-year-old year, she was quite successful on the track herself. Silver Wizard's first crop doesn't hit the track until next year, but I'm excited to see how they do! I'm quite optimistic about this foal's prospects on the track.

His name, Grimoire, is the term for a textbook of magic.

2 colts - 4 fillies - 4 remaining
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »

Love the name. :)
Shelbie
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

Love the name!
~ Black Storm West ~
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »

Ooooo love the name!  another to cross off my list of names waiting on ponies! :D

ivycreekfarm
Beta Testers
Owner

Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm

View Profile Ivy Creek Farm
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:51 AM »

I am a huge fan of your naming process.  :) 

I'm glad to see that both ladies gave you healthy, promising looking foals.  Who knew that Uptown Girl had it in her to throw a stakes winner?  Here's hoping Grimoire can live up to that precedent - either way, he sure is handsome.  And Morning Deelites has only thrown dark greys, so no surprise that your filly is so striking.  DHD had quite a long career, and was successful as a 2YO - hopefully La Corriveau takes after him in that regard.   :)
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year
Grace
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:48 PM »

Thanks for letting me lease them! I'm really excited for both foals - they're both absolutely perfect.

And on a sad note, I had my first FF-horse death today. Little Nikita, a Government Secret broodmare, passed away due to complications in labor while giving birth to what was only her second foal. She was only six years old and had not had any complications with her pregnancy or her delivery last year, so we're all pretty shocked and heartbroken.

She did leave us one beautiful, healthy colt, however, and fortunately, the little chestnut orphan has taken a liking to our broodmare, Novel Advantage, who couldn't be happier with the situation. She was left open for 2016, and she must have been jealous of all the other mares' foals, because she won't stop doting on "her" colt. He is being bottle fed and seems to be doing well despite the sad start to his life.

Robben Island
ICh. Dark Continent (S) (Land Ho (S) x Dark Victory (P)) x Little Nikita (NCh. Government Secret (B) x Moment in Paradise (B))
8.2h chestnut (star, stripe) colt

Named for the former prison off the coast of Cape Town where Nelson Mandela and other political prisoners were held during apartheid. I am a fan of Dark Continent and am really excited to have another foal by him - Robben Island is a little carbon copy of his sire. I hope he inherited his talent on the track in addition to his appearance!

3 colts - 4 fillies - 1 deceased mare - 3 remaining
One of our maiden mares is almost a week late now, and after this loss, I don't want to leave her alone for even a second. The poor gal is looking very round...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:01:33 AM by Grace » Logged
CricketHill
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Cricket Hill

Cricket Hill: Established 2006

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss, but congrats on the health DC colt.
Shelbie
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »

Sorry for your loss, Grace! At least the foal survived; hopefully he kicks some serious butt when he's older.
~ Black Storm West ~
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 02:49:12 AM »

Sorry about your mare I understand your feelings I lost a maiden mare this yr also, and a young one last yr too. Congrats on the healthy baby, may he bring you joy. :)

Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:55 AM »

Sorry for your loss. :( Cute foal, though!
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »

Sorry for the loss of your mare. Love the name for the colt though :)
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Grace
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

Thanks for the condolences, everyone. I know it had to happen eventually. I definitely breathed a sigh of relief when Tell It Straight, my maiden mare who was over a week past her due date, foaled this giant filly with no complications.

Lovingly Yours Coco Chanel
NCh. Black Warrior (What's It Worth (P) x Joey Three Socks (S)) x Tell It Straight (Romeo (G) x Time For Truth (S))
10.0h black (star, stripe, LF stocking, RH stocking, LH sock) filly

Apparently it's my year for black babies - no complaints from me! As long as they're healthy, I'm happy.

Black Warrior's first crop will hit the track in 2017. Tell It Straight was a solid MSP runner with a pretty consistent record (and only 1 point off her champion title). Sire and dam are unproven as producers, but Lovingly Yours' Coco Chanel's pedigree is pretty star-studded in the third generation, so I'm quite hopeful this cross will be successful. Her name is from the closing line of a love letter to a soldier. Renamed her Coco Chanel, credited with the design of the "little black dress".

Tell It Straight is going to I'm A Classic for her next date.

3 colts - 5 fillies - 1 deceased mare - 2 remaining
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:30:06 AM by Grace » Logged
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

Cute foal/name. :)
Shadowfax
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »

lovely filly, glad she arrived safely
Grace Littlef
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Proud Rattie Mommy!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »

This definitely is a big foal season!  Congrats and condolences.

Grace
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »

I'm very pleased to welcome my second-to-last foal for the year, a filly out of a lovely leased broodmare.

Judgment Night
NCh. Black Light II (Black Satin (S) x Majestic Light (P)) x Jezabelle (B) (War Admiral (S) x Devil's Trademark (G))
8.1h brown (star, stripe, snip, LF sock, RH sock, LH sock) filly

I was really excited about this pairing when I planned this foal last year, and I'm so happy with the little filly I've gotten out of the cross. Black Light II's first crop will hit the track in 2017. Jezabelle has had one foal to run so far: I'm Your Devil, a nice winning colt by I'm Your Angel. She has a 2-year-old colt by Nightfight scheduled to hit the track next week, so we'll be keeping an eye on War Letters. Jezabelle is owned by Black Storm West, and Judgment Night is her first filly. I'm quite smitten. :)

3 colts - 6 fillies - 1 deceased mare - 1 remaining! (And mama's overdue by a week...)
Shelbie
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »

Judgment Night is her first filly

I know! Dang mare keeps giving me colts, haha. Glad she birthed you a lovely baby! Can't wait to see how she does.
~ Black Storm West ~
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »

Lovely filly, great name :)

ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Grace
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

I just now realized I never introduced my last baby of the year! She was born on April 7 and I had a hard time settling on a name, but I think this one will stick for now. I'm happy to have gotten through my first real foaling season with all ten babies arriving safely, but my broodmare, Little Nikita, will be missed.

Harbor Bird
NCh. Joyeux Oiseau (created) x Delaware Market (created)
8.1h flea-bitten grey (bald face, RH sock, LH stocking) filly

No idea what this girl is going to do, but she's a cute little thing! She is from Joyeux Oiseau's first crop and is Delaware Market's third foal. Harbor Bird's half-siblings are all unraced. Joyeux Oiseau and Delaware Market were both late bloomers, so I think it will be a few years before I'll see what this filly can do on the track. Good thing she's cute enough to hang out in the pastures at home until then. :)

3 colts - 7 fillies - 1 deceased mare - 0 remaining!
Happy 2016 foaling season!
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »

Nice filly, Congrats on a successful foaling season :)

ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Breeding  |  Foaling Barn  |  Topic: 2016 Hello Starling Farm Foals « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, 2016 Hello Starling Farm Foals - Theme by Mustang Forums