Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Jun. 21, 2022 10:05am

Author Topic: Horse "looking a bit lackluster lately" comments...  (Read 866 times)

Offline ivycreekfarmTopic starter

• Beta Testers
  • Owner
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Creek Farm
  • Stable Name: Ivy Creek Farm
Horse "looking a bit lackluster lately" comments...
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:14:17 pm »
Recently, for two of my ponies, the jockey has been stating that the horse is "looking a bit lackluster lately" on a fairly regular basis.

The first was an older mare, so I took that to mean that she was beyond her prime and her talent was started to dwindle...
However, now it is occuring with a 3YO filly who never really fired at 2, so that wouldn't seem to be the reason.

I was curious: what types of things can trigger this comment?  Is it low NE (horse being burnt out)? Being outside of their physical prime?  Just trying to take this advice and act accordingly.   :)
Alyssa
Ivy Creek Farm

Standing in 2021: NCh. Allinvain | NCh. Bear Witness | NCh. Bellagio {S} | NCh. Ducati | NCh. Exit Poll | NCh. Fight The Twilight | GCh. Zadar
Home to future stallions: NCh. Franco Classico, 2019 3YO Colt & Classic Horse of the Year

Offline Shanthi

• Administrator
  • Kentucky Derby Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Stillwater Farms
Re: Horse "looking a bit lackluster lately" comments...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:16 pm »
It relates to natural energy. Jockeys don't comment on immaturity/has-been status.

Offline Freedom

• Beta Testers
  • Owner
  • They buried the sun, so I carried the torch.
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Freedom Acres
Re: Horse "looking a bit lackluster lately" comments...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:50:57 pm »
If I remember correctly, that particular comment means that NE has dropped pretty low. I would suggest a longer rest at the farm than usual.  :)
"Horse racing isn't a real sport?
Let's see you try and keep up." - Anonymous
>> home to ICh. Unabridged.

-- Vision Of Freedom --