Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 11, 2022 4:38pm

Author Topic: Debate about FF Famous Stallion Options  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Starfish

• Beta Testers
  • Stakes Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Starfish Stables
Re: Debate about FF Famous Stallion Options
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:11 am »
Personally, I tend not to use outside stallions as we have six at our Farm right now and will be adding at least two more next year.

That said, when I did use outside stallions, I didn't select a stallion to breed to based on his RL racing or breeding records. I would select a stallion based on his FF racing and breeding records.

So, unless the "Famous" stallion actually entered FF as a 2yo and raced in FF for 2-3 years and was then Retired To Stud (if his FF racing record qualified him to do so), I wouldn't even look at him.
Lewis

Offline imagine

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
  • Anything is possible with a willing heart.
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 10:58:50 am »
I would still like to keep some RL racers although possibly not as many as we have now, simply to add/maintain some bloodline diversity. I think if they are eradicated altogether (and I'm also thinking of when the time comes when Shanthi said that new creates would be phased out) we could end up with a really limited number of mostly related studs to breed from. Not sure how long that might take, possibly years, although if it ever got to that stage perhaps RL studs could be reintroduced (not necessarily the same ones as we already had).
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
NCh Golden Text, ICh Quarren, WCh Sionnach, NCh Lasting Spirit, GCh Mantle of Power

Offline CricketHill

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
  • Cricket Hill: Established 2006
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Cricket Hill
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:56 am »
I think Rahy and Saddler Wells make a good argument for keeping at least some of the famous studs. Their sons will diversify the breeding population that is pretty heavy on the Rogue/Worth lines.

Offline imagine

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
  • Anything is possible with a willing heart.
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 07:42:28 am »
Out of curiosity I had a look at how many game studs are descendants of famous studs (past or present). From those currently active, 34 have at least one famous ancestor. None of the current famous studs other than Point Given have a representative yet but I think in a few years we might see some of the current studs in future lines. It's nothing scientific I just wanted to see which of the current studs we'd be without if there's been no famous studs. Probably the most notable would be Nightfight, Magic Glory and What's Your Point - all currently gold ranked and by famous studs.
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
NCh Golden Text, ICh Quarren, WCh Sionnach, NCh Lasting Spirit, GCh Mantle of Power

Offline Steph

• Beta Testers
  • Jockey
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Fox Run
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:48 am »
On that note my top two stable earners are Ishka who is by Sadler's Wells and Devil's Walk by Nightfight, id currently be in the red without these two
Fox Run Racing
Current Stallions

NCh. Crafty Magic , ICh. Devil's Walk

Please contact me if you have a Fox Run bred horse you would like to sell of any condition, always interested