Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 17, 2021 12:15pm

Final Furlong Forum - Advice/suggestions please

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 04:15:43 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Advice/suggestions please
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice/suggestions please  (Read 628 times)
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2,660
Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to proceed with GCh Sionnach. He is one win away from studification but struggling to get there. He's run reasonably well at stakes level this year without quite getting there. I realise he might well be passed his best but I'd like to at least give him until the end of the year to see if he can get there. I guess I'm wondering if a fresh pair of eyes (or several!) might help. He has only raced on turf so does have the option of trying dirt or fences. He's a grade one winner at 8f and 12f so could take in races of any grade but I'm struggling to find a distance that he's most suited to. As he's got slightly more unusual bloodlines (Giants Causeway x Gallant Fox) I hope he's worth persevering with.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Logged
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Starfish
Beta Testers
Race Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 3,148
Stable Name: Starfish Stables

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

I would focus on 8-8.5f on Turf. Yes he has won once each over 9f, 10f & 12f and has a couple of SP's at 10f & 12f, but the majority of his good performances have been at or around 8f, i.e 7.5f to 8.5f. In fact, in all his 8 races at these distances, his record is 5 wins and 3 seconds.

He is in Australia at the moment, so, if you don't mind waiting for a month, there is the Chipping Norton Stakes (G1, 8f) on August 20th, which looks to be right up his street.
Logged
Lewis
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2,660
Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »

Thanks for your input Lewis. I'm happy for him to have s break for a bit so we'll give that a go and see how he likes it.
Logged
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 9,685
Stable Name: Stillwater Farms


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »

I'd definitely try dirt and then jumps. You never know, turf could be his least favourite track and dirt/jumps could give him the edge he needs to get that last stakes win. He's got the flexibility to go short(ish) or long, so you may as well play with other factors and see if those would help.

Would be nice to see him at stud, especially with his bloodlines.
Logged
Chris
Trainer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 408
Stable Name: Tall Oaks Farm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »

I agree with Shanthi, his sire and dam's family both have produced dirt runners that win on the stakes level. Try him at the allowance level around 8-9 furlongs just to gauge his progress then try him at a stakes when you feel like he can do well.
Logged
Steph
Beta Testers
Jockey
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 329
Stable Name: Fox Run


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »

I like Lewis's idea and make sure he rests at home so he is 'raring to go mentally'.

Honestly though curiosity would get the better of me as I had his sister Kingston Coup and she had 4 speed records on dirt so at least one try on dirt wouldn't hurt. She actually also did well on turfs, just not quite as well, so you never know. My fingers are crossed for him because I have a special place for this bloodline!

Jumps make me nervous because they can't come back. Just make sure the jumps trials are all very positive
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:20:53 AM by Steph » Logged
Fox Run Racing - Australia
Home to NCh. Crafty Magic , ICh. Devil's Walk , - Current Studs at Fox Run

Please contact me if you have a Fox Run bred horse you would like to sell of any condition, always interested
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2,660
Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I've got nothing against running him on dirt so I'll see if there's a suitable allowance race that could fit in around Lewis' suggestion and see how he gets on.
Logged
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
rainee
Trainer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 666
Stable Name: Rainee Thoroughbreds


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:05:30 AM »

I was looking at his shipping record - I think he needs some time off. Serious time off at the farm, like two months. He's been shipped around a whole lot this year and that takes the shine off them. He's also run big races practically every 3 weeks for a while now. I also agree with the surface changes, etc. He might just need a change of pace once he's fresh again.
Logged
Lilly of  Rainee Thoroughbreds
Located near the prestigious Saratoga.
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2,660
Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »

I guess a rest might be beneficial. He had a solid month off in the early part of the year then he's been between our local track and the farm over the summer following a similar pattern to last year where he seemed to thrive. Since he's in Australia he'll probably go for the race Lewis suggested then go from there. He could come home for a break if needed. Thanks for your thoughts.
Logged
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
ICh Blue Smoke
ICh Quarren
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Advice/suggestions please « previous next »
 
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Advice/suggestions please - Theme by Mustang Forums