Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Dec. 10, 2021 10:49pm

Final Furlong Forum - Feels Like Work....

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:49:52 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Comments and Suggestions  |  Topic: Feels Like Work....
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feels Like Work....  (Read 5628 times)
Shirozora
Owner

Stable Name: RC Bee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »

Hmmmm I might try implementing one of these light exercise programs, too. I usually just go in every couple of days and lightly work the horses with less than a B in fitness but a truly hands-off approach might help me a bit more AND tell me how my horses are training.

Also, thanks for hearing us out and for giving answers to the specific questions and concerns, Shanthi. A lot of games I play could use more of your hands-on approach.
RC Bee Stables proudly stands: Eighteen Karat, What's It Worth (P)-Heart of Gold (S), by Mr. Prospector (S)
2020: $2,500 LFG || Breeders' Cup nominated
Starfish
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Starfish Stables

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:01 AM »

noticed yesterday that the stable has scraped in at number 10 on the Overall OTB list so something must be working, at the lower levels at least  :P

Just out of curiosity, is there a link that we can go to to see things like Overall Earnings, OTB, etc?

I am often asked by other Owners what is the secret of my success. I don't know if there really is a secret, just a couple of routines that seem to have worked well for me:-
I have a regular training schedule that pretty much all my horses follow, not too strenuous but also not too light. The only time they get taken off this schedule is if they are at the Farm (or Boarding) or if they are travelling. I also don't run a horse if it's Energy is F on the Monday or Thursday before it is due to race.

I tend to give my horses around 3 weeks between races (4 weeks for 2YO) and will generally send them back to the Farm (or Board them if they are overseas) after 3 races (for 2 & 3YO's) or at most 6 races (for 4YO's & older).

If there is any one thing that has probably helped the most is that I am Retired and don't have many other hobbies (I hate golf - I always tell people that I wouldn't know which end of the golf ball to hit!!!) and have lots of free time to spend on working out training routines, race entries, etc. I probably average 1-2 hours a day on FF, maybe double that on race days.

Above all, I love FF and am extremely grateful to Shanthi for all the hard work she has put into keeping it running as smoothly as it does. Sure, it does have it's glitches every now and then, but Shanthi is always very quick to figure out where the glitch is and fix it - and she doesn't have the luxury of being Retired.
Lewis
imagine
Beta Testers
Race Winner

Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock

Anything is possible with a willing heart.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:29 AM »

Just out of curiosity, is there a link that we can go to to see things like Overall Earnings, OTB, etc?

It's on the Hall of Fame page which, if you're on the forum pages, should have a link to it in the box at the top where you can go to the Index, Your Stable etc - should be 2nd from bottom, above the Contact Shanthi link. Lots of 'top 10' info on there and OTB is about half way down the page :)
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
NCh Golden Text
ICh Quarren
WCh Sionnach
NCh Lasting Spirit
GCh Mantle of Power
hollyh1125
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »

Hey everyone! I think all of you had some very useful insight and suggestions.  I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one feeling a little frustrated and this thread has given me new hope for my barn.  I think I'll purchase some new paint and give the place a face lift. :)  I have added a new training schedule which we will see helps.  :)

I am so grateful for the taxes being lifted for 2018.  THANK YOU SHANTHI!! I now will have plenty of cash for stallion nominations and keeping things going next year, though I still will not be making any multi-million dollar horse purchases that I have been known to do in the past. :smacks forehead:

All in all I found everyone's input very thoughtful and helpful and I'm so glad this may have helped others get their barns back into order.

BTW! I will be selling and retiring quite a few of my racers and broodmares in the future so if you are interested in any feel free to inquire because I will be inclined to sell....I think I'm going to decrease my race horse and broodmare count to about 125 ish so that's at least 75 that will be going. :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:35:48 PM by hollyh1125 » Logged
Wolfhound
Beta Testers
Trainer

Stable Name: Darkwood Stables

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »

If there is any one thing that has probably helped the most is that I am Retired

I retired last Friday - maybe it'll help me too! Oh and i don't like golf either  :)
Gwen

Darkwood Stables
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  General  |  Comments and Suggestions  |  Topic: Feels Like Work.... « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Feels Like Work.... - Theme by Mustang Forums