Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Nov. 19, 2021 9:20am

Final Furlong Forum - Claiming Races

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 01:20:17 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Claiming Races
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Claiming Races  (Read 1731 times)
Andrea
« on: March 16, 2004, 06:50:45 PM »

You guys need to start

thinking about entering claiming races more.  We've got maiden's running in stakes races,

but can't get any entries into a 10k claiming race.  I understand not wanting to risk

parting with your beloved horses, but we only see maybe 2 or 3

claims a race meet so there's not that much risk involved.

Shanthi and I are entering

like 20-25 horses per meet into claimers lately.  FF has 312 racers total.  Those are

obviously not all qualified for the given race.  At this rate we're going to have to create

brand new 4yo mares sometime soon because we're racing the ones that we do have into the

ground.  If we have to add too many created horses to the game, we're going to have to start

putting breeding caps on stables and stuff just to keep the database within our limit.  You

don't want that.  We don't want that.  And since we'll just ignore the limits, you'll be

the ones paying for it ;).

So, I'm not saying enter your SP mare into a 5k claimer.  I'm

saying enter your 4yo maidens and horses who've got like 12-1-0-2-3 records in them.  

Otherwise Shanthi and I'll have to start coming up with ways to limit DB size or lower the

number of races/week you have.  Thanks. :)
CascadeJade
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 02:16:32 PM »

I know in RL there are many

claiming races each day of racing(sometimes 1/2 the races are claiming races) because since

it's real time and real money involved people feel they get the best payout in claiming

races.  But in this game I think a lot of us like to take our time with each horse figure it

out(that's how I am anyway, that's 1/2 the fun-figuring out my loser horses and turning

them into winners) and we don't consider it worth the risk to enter into a claiming race.  

So would it be possible to change some of the claiming races to say...maiden races or low

grade allowances or whatever?  I know I've many times wnated to enter a claiming race

because it had EXACTLY the right conditions I've wanted but once I saw that it was a

claiming race I didn't enter because I didn't consider it worth the risk.  For me, its not

about getting the most money out of my horses but figuring out what their niche is.
Anyway,

that's just my opinion.  I'm willing to help out if you need it. :)

Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

Stable Name: Stillwater Farms

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 02:32:20 PM »

That's the point, though.  

:P  I'm sure in real life a lot of trainers want to keep their horses for a long time and

work with them, etc., especially since they can get emotionally attached to their horses,

whereas our FF horses can't slobber all over us.  ;)  And yet they do put their horses into

claiming races.

I did consider limited claiming races, but then it basically just turns

into "everyone own all the horses they can and never trade them around or interact", which is

the whole point of claiming.  ;)  Besides, the max you'll miss out on if the horse is

claimed is 3 races, assuming you can buy it back.

So basically, suck it up.  :P  The point

is to make FF realistic, not make it extremely easy to keep all of our horses.

I perfectly

understand where you're coming from, Jade, and I have a select few horses that I will never

put in claiming races no matter how badly they do (i.e. Java's babies, etc.), but I did put

Hollywood Halo into a 5k claimer when I'm sure I could've auctioned her off for at least 2

or 3 times that, or kept her and bred her, etc.  So we're not just asking members to risk

their horses, I know Andrea and I have both put horses into claimers.
Lindsay-CloverSprings
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 03:19:20 PM »

I would agree with Jade that

there are perhaps too many claiming races right now, and maybe not enough SC races? It's

hard to find a good one to put horses into... but then I got to thinking about if we had less

claiming races then more claims would be done when there are claimin races run.

I know

that I can't personally claim any horses right now because of the 35 racehorse limit (silly

two year olds), but it's sometimes a high risk to run a horse in a claiming race if you do

have some nice stock. I'll try to run claiming races more, but that word 'claiming' just

seems to send a chill down my spine.

~Lindsay
Augie1125
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 06:10:31 PM »

I dont understand why you

wouldnt want to give your horse a taste at Winning.  If they are in a claimer the

comepetition is lower and it could build its confidence up.  Not many people put claims in

anyway.  There is maybe like 1 claim a day if that.  I for one am happy that there is

claimers.

Also, Shanthi just wondering where are all the stakes for three yr old fillies.  

It seems that there is not another prep to the KEntucky OAks. I  would love to see the

Ashland in there. Any who
Just my two cents
Lindsay-CloverSprings
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 07:35:34 PM »

True, but maiden and

allowance races can do that just as well as claiming races sometimes... without the possible

loss of a horse.

There have been many filly prep. races so far. There was a couple just on

the 13th including the Santa Anita Oaks (G1), and the Bonnie Miss Stakes (G2). Coming up are

the Distaff Breeder's Cup Handicap (fillies/mares 3yo+) on March 27th, Banshee Breeze

Handicap (fillies/mares 3yo+) & on April 3rd. There are a few more if you check out the race

schedule. There have been a lot of filly races lately though. ;)

~Lindsay  
CascadeJade
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 08:22:06 PM »

Yeah Shanthi, I understand

what you mean :) . But perhaps, this year, to perhaps ease us into it could you make a few

claiming races SC races?(are my negotiating skills working? no? ADD MORE CHEESE JADE :D )? I

think Lindsey is right, there aren't enough SC races.
But I'll start looking over my stock

and see about entering some in claimers.
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 09:56:21 PM »

The reason the schedule is

light on SC races is that we also need to fit in turf races.  Plus, there are no 3yo SC races

yet...the SC races will start appearing more often after the Triple Crown.
4WindsFarm
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 10:50:34 PM »

Maybe . . if we had the

option of making our horses a claim.  Like when we enter a claiming race either selecting the

an 'able to claim' or 'unable to claim'. . . cause I don't want to risk losing a horse .

. lol . . just because I only have like 5 or 6 racers right now.  Also don't they have

claiming races where some horses enter and are not able to be claimed by others . . I could

be wrong . . I not sure on that one though
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 11:12:48 PM »

Yes, I believe some

lower-level allowances have the option to have the horse claimed or not.  And most claiming

races have options for the horse to be claimed for a higher price (so instead of having it

claimed for $5,000 it'd be $10,000), but you pay a higher entry fee...a few have

the option not to claim.

Again, this defeats the point...as has been stated

several times, people don't claim much.  Andrea and I have been

forced to put some fairly decent FF horses into claimers to fill them, and none have been

claimed.  So the risk is pretty minimal.
Andrea
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 12:51:54 AM »

Of course, we also enter

after the racing deadline alot, but then at the moment FF can't afford to have any 4yo+ flat

mares claimed...

And as far as low numbers of racing stock goes, if you have a horse that

should run at claiming level, and it gets claimed, then you can prob find another w/in a

month or so.

And yes, there are maiden/allowance races that are possibilities, but if you

stick w/ just NW1 and NW2 allowances, you're limiting yourself and your racing chances a

heck of a lot.  Personally I'd rather breed/own a horse who's won 5 or 6 claiming races

than come in 3rd/4th 10 times in an allowance race... plus w/ the new purse distribution,

anything under 2nd isn't really giving much payout.
Augie1125
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 01:07:52 AM »

I understand that there was

just two stakes for 3yo fillies.  Usually 3yos dont race against older horses until the fall

of their 3yo yr.  I was just looking for a major prep for the Oaks in april.  

MAybe if

there were like claiming races for better horses more people would enter.  In real racing you

see 50k and 80k claimers all the time.

That would be awesome to see In my opinion.
Freedom-Farms
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 01:46:57 AM »

I run claimers a lot.  I've

had horses claimed.  It's not that HUGE of a deal.  You'll find another racer.  Isn't that

what the auctions and sale boards are for??

I have a few horses that I WILL NOT run in

claimers such as Silken Strand and my 2 3yr old fillies, but the rest are fair game!  I start

in claimers.  If they can't break the maiden in claimers or maidens then chances are they

won't in allowance races either.

IMHO a horse shouldn't be allowed to run in an

allowance/stakes WITHOUT winning or at least placing in the top 3 of a maiden or claiming,

but then again, when does my opinion count?  lolol

And I'm not sure where everyone lives,

but in OK, it's a common site to see 5k and 10k claimers.  Hell, the 50k claimers here are

AWESOME races!

I'm sure claiming prices and races are different around the country, but

claimers are a good thing to have sometimes.  Especially for newbies and for people who just

want to run a horse.  If your horse isn't wanted it won't be claimed :D  lolol.  I'm just

kidding!  
Shanthi
Administrator
Kentucky Derby Winner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 02:23:16 AM »

I don't think FF's claiming

races will go higher than 20k or 25k (for the claiming price), as any horses that are worth

more than that should be in allowances.  ;)  Plus, as Nadia said, claiming races are a good

source of horses for newbies, and 80k claimers defeats the point of that.
Augie1125
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 02:25:40 AM »

ahh good point as well.  

Claiming races is what make real horse racing occur everyday.  Without claiming races, the

racing industry would not be t he same
JasonCameron
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 05:07:53 AM »

Racing 3YO fillies against

the mares is fun! :D I'm not having trouble mapping out Barchetta's races, I'm happy to

set her against the older girls. Gives me a bit more of an idea of her class... Or lack of...

:P
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
Final Furlong Forum  |  Racing  |  General/Questions  |  Topic: Claiming Races « previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Final Furlong Forum, Claiming Races - Theme by Mustang Forums