Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Sep. 24, 2022 5:43am

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General/Questions / Re: Strike it Rich Retired
« Last post by willagrey on September 23, 2018, 07:30:39 pm »
So sad! I was looking forward to sending a couple mares his way next year.
How'd You Do? / Re: 9/22
« Last post by willagrey on September 23, 2018, 07:29:41 pm »
Seriously what an accomplishment for Palermo!! I'm glad my stellar 2yo, Gifted Detail, seems to prefer dirt so I can stay out of the 2yo turf races that Palermo is dominating  :P

We had a decent day!

8-1-1-3-2 $43,850

Wins:
Townsend Fleet (3yo, Mr. Townsend) in a NW2 Allowance

Places:
Hollywood Blaze (4yo, TakeMeToHollywood) in an Allowance

Shows:
Capital Hill (2yo, City Upon a Hill) in a claiming race
Delta Queen (4yo, Starzen) in an Allowance
Ch. Loud Actor (4yo, Prince Of Wonder) in an Allowance

Fourths:
Circle of Magi (3yo, Ring of Fire) in a NW1 Allowance
Steep Mist (2yo, Silver Wizard) in a NW3 Allowance

Also Rans:
Light Speed (4yo, Spock) 6th in an Allowance

General/Questions / Re: Racing Frequency
« Last post by Shelbie on September 23, 2018, 03:29:02 pm »
I also try to get at least 2 weeks of training under a horse before entering, but some horses just work differently. I'm mostly thinking of Cricket Hill's Palermo who managed to rattle off wins with like 1 week breaks between them. I can safely say none of mine have managed such a trick, though! I definitely race at A/A energy, 2 weeks of races, and I try and send horses home every 3-4 months for at least 2 months (Shanthi has said that 1 month at the farm is more than enough). Right after a race, I don't work them for about 3-4 weeks as a sort of rest/down period to recover E/F. Stakes runners I might board for 7-11 days after a race as a quicker energy boost, but just not working them and saving myself the boarding $$ seems to work well, too.

I am constantly tweaking how I handle my horses, but 2 weeks training before a race, A/A for energy/fitness, and sending home every 3-4 months is fairly standard for me.
« Last post by Shelbie on September 23, 2018, 03:25:26 pm »
That should not detract from his achievements. For a horse to be so close to Stud-Qualification after only 9 races is remarkable.

Seriously. There's really no worry whether he'll get those 2 measly SP's. He has several years ahead of him.

Unlike a certain 6yo of mine in the barn who is still 1 SW short. At least it's not a G1 he needs!
« Last post by Starfish on September 23, 2018, 01:33:25 pm »
You're right! Thanks for reminding me. In the past it's been a non-issue since the boys were usually much older and had incidental SPs under their belt. It's usually the Gr. 1 win that I'm fighting for at the very end of their careers.

So, bit of a premature celebration.... Whoops!

That should not detract from his achievements. For a horse to be so close to Stud-Qualification after only 9 races is remarkable.
« Last post by Nicole11 on September 23, 2018, 01:32:37 pm »
thank you for getting back to me!
General/Questions / Re: Strike it Rich Retired
« Last post by CricketHill on September 23, 2018, 01:27:38 pm »
What a bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. He was beautifully bred with some nice outside bloodlines.

Best of luck with those foals!
« Last post by CricketHill on September 23, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »
If they're recovered, they should be safe to race --  I believe that injuries are tied to those fitness/energy stats and track condition.

That being said, training seems to provide a positive effect on their performance in races (or at least my ponies perform better if they've had some training between races).
General/Questions / Racing Frequency
« Last post by Nicole11 on September 23, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »
I'm a newer player here and I've been reading the forum posts, FAQs along with the newbie guide.  I'm looking for some guidance on how frequent you can safely race your horses. I know never to run your horses on 'F' energy etc.  My farm is located 5 miles from Belmont and Aqueduct.  Recently, I've started shipping my horses home right after races and letting them recover there.  Only shipping them back to the track about 4 days before racing to get a couple workouts in or a tune up breeze to get them sharp before race day.  I've noticed that the horses recover much faster while at home, some of them back at A energy with A Fitness in as little time as 4-5 days post race. Can I race them that soon again or should I still be waiting the standard 10-14 waiting period ? Are they able to race a bit more frequent since they recover and spend most of their 'down time' at home ?   I would appreciate any comments or advice that anyone has on this! *Side Note: I've never raced a horse that wasn't at 'A' energy or 'A' fitness. Also after workouts never seen my horses lower than 'D' energy but usually just at 'B', while recovering back to 'A' overnight even from the 'D' energy status.  ;D

Thank you!
« Last post by CricketHill on September 23, 2018, 12:27:34 pm »
I hate to say that I think you might want to double-check that. I believe that to be Stud-Qualified, the horse needs at least 7 SW including 1 G1W & 10 SP including 2 G1P and Palermo only has 8 SP. No matter, it is still a remarkable record and I don't think it will be long before he gets the 2 SP he needs. Congratulations on today's performance.

You're right! Thanks for reminding me. In the past it's been a non-issue since the boys were usually much older and had incidental SPs under their belt. It's usually the Gr. 1 win that I'm fighting for at the very end of their careers.

So, bit of a premature celebration.... Whoops!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10