Final Furlong Forum
Final Furlong
Feb. 25, 2022 4:50pm

Author Topic: 2yo's for 2022  (Read 203 times)

Offline ShelbieTopic starter

• Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Black Storm West
2yo's for 2022
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »
Actually did fairly well with last year's choices. My choices last year: Caleuche is SP and entered in the BC Juvenile Turf, Downfall recently won an ungraded stakes and is entered in the BC Juvenile, Hard Candy is a multi-winner and ran 4th in an ungraded stakes, Jawbreaker just multi-placed and now at home for the rest of the year, Lingerie has won 3/4 starts including a G1 win and is entered in the BC Juvenile Fillies, and Lord of Misrule is a multi-winner and ran 4th in an ungraded stakes recently.

For 2022 I have my eyes on...

Cider (French Ruby x Midnight Return). Half to MSW Ch. Owl Hunt and MSP Ch. Rosette.

Draconian Love (Von Lichtenstein x June My Love). Sire has been doing fairly well with 41% winners and 1 SP in his first crop. Draconian Love is the first colt for my favorite mare, June My Love, who has produced all winners inluding SP Juniper Tree and G1W Lingerie.

Flattery (Mr. Prospective x Meant to Be). Half to 7 winners including 2 SW's and 4 SP's. From the final crop of gold-ranked Mr. Prospective. Meant to Be tends to throw early bloomers.

Kingsfoil (Worthy Victory x Coronet). Half to Lord of Misrule, a SW and 2 SP's. Worthy Victor has turned into an extremely nice sire already with a MSW and 4 SW's from his first crop -- including my own Hardy Candy mentioned above.

Lancaster (Unabridged x Cadbury). Oldest foal for his dam, so hard to say what he'll do but the damsire is Highland Wizard and Cadbury is half to MSW GCh. Prince of Thieves, 2 silver-ranked half-sisters and a third half-sister whose only racing foal is a SW. I've always had great luck with Unabridged foals.

Novacaine (TakeMeToHollywood x Hot Nurse). Second foal out of MSW/millionaire Hot Nurse, whose oldest foal has hit the board all 5 times this year at 2 (and not bad given the sire is my old boy Joyeux Oiseau, who admittedly wasn't the best). Bred on the same Sire/BM Sire cross as MSW's Ch. Spamalot and WCh. Toast of the Town.

Voices (Express Yourself x Quiet Silhouette). Half to 7 winners including 2 SW's and 1 SP, full sister to SW/MSP Ch. Ni Quito Ni Pongo. Gold-ranked sire.
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
Standing NCH. French Ruby

Offline Hilda with Clicker

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Clicker Lab
Re: 2yo's for 2022
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:48:17 am »

Online rebelrun

• Jockey
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Coleman Branch
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »
I didn't participate last year (at least I don't think I did), but I'm interested in having a reminder of who I was really watching come next year this time.

That said, I'm both looking forward to and dreading Mr. Prospective's last crop hitting the track.  I have a number of babies who will debut next year.  Here's hoping that one of the boys from his current 2yo crop or upcoming yearlings will go on to be studified. 

On a brighter note, Pay the Boatman's first crop will hit the track in 2018, so I'm very intrigued to see how they'll do.  Boatman was my first stud-qualified homebred, so it's a sentimental hope if nothing else!

As for specific kids, there are a few...

Sour Patch Kid is probably the most well bred and may turn out to be a complete flop because of it.  That's breeding for you!  He's from Foolhardy's last crop and out of platinum-ranked Cherry Flavoured (dam of FFCh. Black Cherry and several other Ch-ranked kids). 

Vivien Leigh, (named for the actress who played Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind) another pretty breeding, likely won't debut until she's 3.  She's bred for jumps with FFCh. TakeMeToHollywood as her sire, and our own 2-time award winner ICh. Date With Destiny as her dam.  Destiny has produced a stakes winner already, with her 3yo looking poised to follow suit.

Righteous Man is the first colt from platinum-ranked In Thy Name, who wasn't stellar on the track but certainly has been as a broodmare.  She's produced 4 stakes winners (3 MSWs) from 5 foals to race.  Righteous is half to NCh. Holy Warrior and GCh. When You Were Mine. 

Edelweiss is NCh. Von Lichtenstein x NCh. Highland Sage and 1/2 to a number of good horses, including award-winner NCh. Early Spring.  I have a stakes placed 2yo from the same sire, so perhaps lightning will strike twice!

It's pretty safe to say I'm looking forward to all of them racing, as more than a few tend to surprise me every year. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:16:25 pm by rebelrun »

Offline imagine

• Beta Testers
  • Race Winner
  • Anything is possible with a willing heart.
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Generous Bloodstock
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:19 am »
Emma @ Generous Bloodstock
Anything is possible with a willing heart

Standing at stud in 2020:
NCh Golden Text, ICh Quarren, WCh Sionnach, NCh Lasting Spirit, GCh Mantle of Power

Offline ShelbieTopic starter

• Race Winner
    • View Profile
  • Stable Name: Black Storm West
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:44:09 pm »
Actually did fairly well with last year's choices. My choices last year: Caleuche is SP and entered in the BC Juvenile Turf, Downfall recently won an ungraded stakes and is entered in the BC Juvenile, Hard Candy is a multi-winner and ran 4th in an ungraded stakes, Jawbreaker just multi-placed and now at home for the rest of the year, Lingerie has won 3/4 starts including a G1 win and is entered in the BC Juvenile Fillies, and Lord of Misrule is a multi-winner and ran 4th in an ungraded stakes recently.

I wanted to come back and mention how my 2020 choices faired in their 2yo season, overall! This post was made before the BC and there have been a few exciting finishes since: Caleuche (Animal Kingdom) WON the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, Downfall (V is for Victory) WON the BC Juvenile and wrapped up the year with a 4th in the G2 Remsen, Lingerie (Foolhardy) WON the BC Juvenile Fillies and finished 3rd in the G3 Valley Stream Stakes before heading home, and Hard Candy (Worthy Victor) ran 4th in the Ungr. East View Stakes.
~ Black Storm West ~
there will be fireworks tonight
Standing NCH. French Ruby